Hedgie not Eating/Drinking/Pooping! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie not Eating/Drinking/Pooping!

I have a 4 month old male hedgehog and he has been in my care since he was 7 weeks old. Within the past two weeks or so I have noticed that he isn't eating, drinking and pooing as much has he should be. I try to get him to eat more when I put him back in his cage for the night and I'll sit there encouraging him until he has drinken and eaten sufficiantly but I don't have much control over his bowels. I haven't seen any poo in his cage or litter box for a while and will only poop when he's in his play pen or having a bath in warm water. I can tell that there is feces in him as I can see the "bumps" near his bum. One might say that he is trying to hibernate but the temperature of his room has not changed since I got him and is at a steady 72 degrees Fahrenheit (at the least). This also (in my opinion) rules out the thought that he is overheated. Something else that I've noticed is that he "splats" (superman position) whevener he is sleeping on my lap (not sure if he does this in his cage as well or not) but he has always done this and so I wasn't concerned as much. There have been no changes in food, water, cage, temperature or surroundings that would be an explanation and so I ask you guys for your opinion. Let me know if you need any more info.

Hunter and I thank you for your time!!
JennaMacDermaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Hedgie not Eating/Drinking/Pooping!

At 72 is is very possible that he is too cool but not quite enough for a hibernation attempt. Try upping his cage temp to 74/75 and see if that helps.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in