Change in behaviors, any ideas? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Change in behaviors, any ideas?

I have a hedgie who is about 11 months old. I got her about 2 months ago. About 3 weeks ago she started changing her behaviors. When I got her she wasn't litter trained but when I put a litter box under her wheel she instantly started using it. She never went on her bedding. She also almost always ran every night. 3 weeks ago she stopped using her litter box and started going on the outside of it. Around the same time she stopped wheeling. I did make some food changes around this time but they were monitored and were introduced to her slowly. She was on one food when I got her and I added two more. I introduced the first one for a week and then the second one for a week. She didn't have any reactions to the food and nothing changed until she stopped using her litter box and stopped running on her wheel. I finally made an appointment for the vet a week after her behavior change. The night before the vet visit she used her wheel. We went to the vet and the vet said everything looked fine. She was a healthy weight, ears looked good, etc. She did note that there is an area on her back that is somewhat patchy in regards to quills but it was like that when I got her and there has been no quill loss since I've had her. She did a skin check and didn't see any mites but decided to be on the safe side to treat her with Revolution anyways because the tests aren't always that reliabe due to not being able to get a good sample or no mites in the area swabbed. She was given her first dose of Revolution at the vet and I am scheduled to give her the second one tomorrow. The vet didn't have any explanation for the behavior change. She noted that Karma is reaching maturity and that she could just be going through hormonal changes with maturity. She has been fine for the last 2 weeks using her wheel and litter box. However all this week this she has again stopped wheeling and stopped using her litter box. Has anybody had anything similar happen? I get a little worried about her but she seems to be fine otherwise? Any suggestions?
Thanks
tbkarma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Change in behaviors, any ideas?

Has there been any change in temperature?
As winter came, my Pineapple suddenly stopped running on her wheel and started sleeping in a corner where she usually pees in.
However she had a healthy appetite and was frisky whenever I woke her up and had normal poops and just seemed really healthy.
I was sure she wasn't cold, because her tummy was always warm, and she has a heating blanket under half of her cage,
and a space heater blowing warm air on the other half (she lives in a playpen the size of a full-sized bed).
One night, I was so exhausted I fell asleep as soon as I got home after work and forgot to turn her space heater on.
I woke up in the middle of the night, startled and guilty and ran into her room to feed her and turn the heater on and found her running!
I realized she'd been sleeping in the far corner where it was the coolest.
After that I just left her heating blanket on and turned the space heater off and she's been running every night again.
I had a scare before with my previous hedgie who had gone into hibernation mode because he escaped from his cage
and I guess I was overdoing the heat a little, even though the room temperature was only at 75-76 degrees.
Now it's at 72-74 degrees and she's being her active little self again.
It's amazing how little tiny things can affect these guys!

kurai18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

No change in temp. I keep her in my living room and it's always in the mid 70's range.
tbkarma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

What wheel does she use? I have Larry's Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel and as wonderful as it is,
because it is so adjustable, the pvc pipes get moved around a bit when I wash it.
I've found that Pineapple will run on it if it is perfectly straight or tilted forward a bit, but will not run on it if it is tilted backwards.

Also, since you've only had her for 2 months she might still be adjusting and trying out different things.
She might be getting comfortable as well. I swear, Pineapple is on her best behavior when she visits my boyfriend's house - all cuddly and calm and non-poopey
but as soon as she gets home she totally gets an attitude and poops everywhere and runs around like a madman.
Anyways, I wouldn't get too worked up about it as long as she's eating, drinking and pooping healthy.
Just pay a lot of attention to factors that might have an affect on her, and even if you think you're doing what you know is best for her,
try changing things up a little bit and see how she reacts.
Pineapple also had a lazy spell for a while last year after I got her a big cushioned bed. I think it was "too comfortable" for her lol and she just wanted to lounge around all day.
I finally took it out and she started running again.

kurai18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Some stop wheeling due to nails are they long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in