Weird pee and poop + behaviour (urgent) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Weird pee and poop + behaviour (urgent)

Hey there, I have had my hedgehog for 2 years now. I adopted her from somebody else when she was about 6 months old.

She really loves her wheel and every morning there will be poops and pees all over it for me to clean up so that she can play on it again. I noticed yesterday that something in my room smelled kind of strange, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I realized that she pooped and peed on her wheel, but it didn't look like she ran through it, it looked like she just went up there and used the bathroom, then got off the wheel. The same thing seems to have happened tonight. The pee is very yellow and smells sort of "fishy", and the poops are very soft. At first, I thought it was due to her treats, but she has been eating them for two years and has never smelled this way.

Last week, we went on vacation, so my dad and stepmom were babysitting her for me. In that time, she didn't eat anything bad or different, she was treated exactly to my instruction, and very carefully handled. The only thing I can think of is that she isn't drinking enough (it looks like this could be true judging by her water dish), but that would not explain the soft, squishy poops. They are not mucousy at all, just very soft and I suppose off coloured?

She actually just came out and had some food and she started running on her wheel, but she stopped after about 10 seconds and she also hasn't had a single sip of water. It's really difficult for me to gauge her mannerisms because she is always huffing and puffing (it's just the way she's always been.)

I'm anemic and I keep my room very hot and can't stand air conditioning. Could it be too hot for her? It was 32 degrees celcius here today and my room is very stuffy. If it will make her feel better, I can cool the room down for her.

Does anybody know what this could be? What should I do about this?
LittleHedgieLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

32C is about 90F which is way to hot for a hedgehog. While some do ok at warmer temps that is still to warm. You need to slowly lower the temp in the cage.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
32C is about 90F which is way to hot for a hedgehog. While some do ok at warmer temps that is still to warm. You need to slowly lower the temp in the cage.
Hello, thank you for the response! Inside my room it is probably about 25 - 27 c degrees (77 - 80.6 F). I worded that very stupidly and I'm sorry. I meant that it was 32 degrees outside, so my room was hot as well. Now that I read my post back, I should have worded it very differently, I'm sorry. :/

Is this still too hot for her?
LittleHedgieLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

The room temperature isn't as important as the temperature inside the cage. Do you have a thermometer in the cage? How is your cage heated?
Petlover500 likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in