Freaking Out! Help? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets
  • 1 Post By StephanieGraf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2016, 01:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Freaking Out! Help?

Im freaking out guys.
So i just got a hedgehog, and i love him soo much. anyway, i let him down to explore in my living room and he ended up crawling under my couch. I couldnt get him out, no matter how hard i tried, so i got behind my couch to move it a bit, thinking maybe he'd come out. well. i scooted it a bit and heard a brushing noise. i look down to see he's wedged between the wood of the couch, its a good 2-3 inches off the ground. He wasn't making any puffing or destressed noises, and i was able to quickly pick him up, even thought i got poked. i checked him out as best i could and he wasnt bleeding or anything. He seemed fine, walked around on my chest, the normal. I put him back i his cage, and came downstairs, and the more i thought about it the more concerned i got. So i went back upstairs and was holding him in my lap. Im not sure if its just me having n overactive imagination, but he did seem a bit grumpier, he puffed and hissed a bit, but he's still kinda getting used to me. anyway, i held him for like, 30 minutes, he seemed pretty chill, was laying around, moved around a bit, sniffling and such. so i go to sit in him on the floor because he started puffing and curling. He sorta walked between my legs and just kinda.. layed flat on his tummy. Ive never seen him do that and it i got concered so i moved. He hissed and walked back under his blanket, where he did it again. his breathing seemed sorta heavy, but im not sure if it was that or i just thought it was because ive never seen him splayed out. and then i read somewhere that someones hedgehog was doing that and it died. and so now im super worried and a little scared, because I just got him like, 5 days ago and im really attached to him already and i dont wanna loose my little guy. Im terrified that i hurt him and imma wake up and he's not gonna be alive.

Im not really used to hedgehog behavior, because he's the first one i've owned, so im really worried and im freaking out. can anyone help?
StephanieGraf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

This is a tough one, it might be nothing or might be something and I think only you can decide.

If you are really concerned, see if you have an emergency exotic vet around that you can take him right now or wait till morning to see how he's doing. Hedgehogs are prey animals so they hide illness and injury and things are pretty advanced when you notice.

For the future, try to make a playpen so he can play in a safe environment, you don't want to have to stress every time you have him out.

Keep us posted.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

im like, aboslutely terrified. ive been crying for like, an hour. is it normal for them to lay on their tummy?

Old 08-11-2016, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Okay so, I just went to lay in bed and I caught little man (his name is Quilson) on his wheel running, he's also drinking lots of water too. I'm feeling a lot better now, because if I'd have hurt him I don't think he'd be running around. thanks so much for your insight I'm still new to this, and I'm trying the best I can, so what happened really scared me!
Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

As long as he is acting normal, I wouldn't be worried
You did the right thing! (:

Momma of Clementine, an albino hedgie <3
Petlover500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

You want to check for any physical signs. Any discoloration, obvious tenderness, warm spots, bumps things of that nature.
If you haven't had him in for a well pet visit yet, I'd highly recommend you do so. While your making that appointment, you can mention this as something that needs assessed. This also will establish a relationship with a vet when it's not a full blown emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petlover500 View Post
As long as he is acting normal, I wouldn't be worried
You did the right thing! (:
That can be true, especially when you forget their number one goal of every minute is to not become lunch. A predator has one goal, eat lunch. They don't care if it's vomiting, limping, a "little off". Those animals make easy lunch. As a result, prey animals will do anything they can to hide illness and injury, even if it causes more pain.
nikki likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Splaying out is completely normal. They tend to do it when very relaxed or a little warm and need to cool off.
NathanielPatten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks guys, my little man is acting himself, he's eating and drinking and running around, his poop looks normal as well. I do need to take him to the vet soon, im planning on setting that up in the near future thanks for all your help!
Prue likes this.

Tags
hedgehog care, hedgehog concerns, hedgehog health, hedgehog help, hedgehog injury

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in