Not Eating but Acting Normal - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not Eating but Acting Normal

So I have an eleven month old albino male and I'm a little worried about him. He seems to be moving towards a diurnal schedule despite the fact that I have not tried to make him do so. But he also had been not eating as regularly. We had a couple of sub zero (F) days and even though the room where he lives is kept pretty warm the heat gets weird at night so I threw a blanket over the side of his cage where his house is (leaving the opposite end where the wheel is exposed) and thats when it started. It was only for about a day and a half so I don't feel that it would have messed up his schedule.

He has started pooping on the floor during his roaming time (usually 8-10 pm) which he never did before, he's not finishing all of his food at night and he isn't using his wheel as much. He does however still eat his treats (mealworms, 2/3 a night). His poop is normal when it comes out and his behavior is also pretty normal as well. He's a bit more active but doesn't seem agitated or cranky. I was worried that he might be making a hibernation attempt but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Its only been a few days so he hasn't lost any discernible weight, last time I weighted him he was exactly a pound and now he's only about a half an ounce down, his hydration is still good and I don't see any discharge from anywhere. Also no quill loss.

Ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?
Nobodi_IP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Not Eating but Acting Normal

What temperature is his cage and does it drop at night? What do you use for a heat source? Is his cage on or near floor level?

With it being so cold, it's possible his cage is getting cooler at night than he likes which would account for lessened activity over night.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

No he doesn't have a heating source, I've been meaning to get him one and with this I'll probably get one tonight or tommorrow. That's probably it, we've had a really mild winter so far so that may be why its taken this long for it to happen. His cage sits on a couple of paper ream boxes that hold his stuff. I'll get him a heating lamp and see if he doesn't perk up.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

Get a CHE, not a heating lamp.
Do you have a light source?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just got a update from home, he popped out and ate about half of his food dish so it must be the cold nights thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in