changed water and poop changed - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default changed water and poop changed

I'm going back to college in a few days and my water supply will change so I've been mixing in bottled water in my hedgehog's bowl. Tonight is the third night with the new water and tonight I noticed that her poops were a bit wetter, but not diarrhea, and some of them were green. She has been eating fine and drinks most of her water. She is wheeling and seems fine so I am wondering if the change in poop is normal with a change in water and it will go away soon?
pwdlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: changed water and poop changed

Any change in a hedgie's routine can cause "off" poops. With any change in routine, food, water, etc, you should expect some greenish poo. In the hedgehog world, change = stress, basically

I'd be willing to bet that it's due to the change in water. As long as the stool is still formed (a little squishy is okay, IMO) and it only lasts a few days, your hog should be fine. If she starts having loose stools, get her into a vet ASAP as dehydration can set in quickly and diarrhea wouldn't normally be caused by a change in water.

I suggest you stick with bottled water for her. After a month or so of having my hog drinking tap water, I realized that I really don't know what's in our water, as we live way out in the country, and I switched her to the Great Value brand of bottled water from Wal Mart. I noticed that her water intake went up a little bit after the change. She also had some spots of forest green poo mixed in with her normal brown poo for 2 or 3 days after the switch. Plus, she drinks about 1 bottle a week, and I got the 24 pack of bottles for $4 or so, so it's not a huge investment or anything.

Keep a close eye on it, just in case.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: changed water and poop changed

thanks, it makes me feel a little better that you went through a similar situation i'll keep a close eye on her though and definitely check on those poops!
pwdlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in