Help! Hedgehod hibernation? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Help! Hedgehod hibernation?

I was almost in tears last night. I picked up my 2 year old hedgie up last night and he didn't make much noise. Usally he puffs up when I wake him up. I put him down and every time he started to walk he would rock back and forward. His feet also were cold. He was scratching a lot the day before and he had lots of dandruff. How ever he wasn't scartaching this morning and he seems better, so I don't know if hat has to do with anything. I cuddled him and gave him a warm blanket for about two hours, after the first hour he started to wiggle and get comfortable and he started to have more energy. My room is usally the perfect tempature for him so I don't know if he was getting too cold. I checked on him this morning and he seems better. Was it hibernation? Should I buy a lamp or heating pad? was it something else? I'm scared it's going to happen again. Sorry for the long post I'm just very very worried about him.

Last edited by Jellybean14; 07-11-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Jellybean14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have a thermometer in his cage? How are you heating his cage? What temperature are you heating it too?
The answers to those questions will help give you further advice.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Firstly, do you have a light cycle? Also, what temperature is your cage kept at? Your post suggests that you don't heat the cage, and without a heater the temperature of a cage can vary greatly as the room temp changes too. These fluctuating temperatures can indeed cause hedgehogs to attempt hibernation.

If it was a hibernation attempt he will be more apt to attempt again, and measures (such as maintaining a steady temperature and light cycle) should be taken.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry twobytwopets, I was typing when you posted!

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's alright, it happens frequently.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you, I don't have a heater in the cage because my room is the hottest room at 23 degrees Celsius, I have fleece blankets though and I'm thinking about purchasing a heat pad. Is a heat pad necessary if his cage is maintained. Also if it happens again did I do the right thing? Do I just cuddle him and try to warm his cage? Thank you for the replies also what do you mean by light cycle? His cage is full of blankets, should I get a heat lamp or pad?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

1. You need a heating system. Either a CHE with a thermostat or a space heater to heat the whole room. You need a thermometer for the cage, room and cage temperature can be and often are different.
2. Make sure that the cage is away from drafts or heating/cooling vents.
3. You need to have a lighting system in place. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, a normal lamp and lightbulb with a timer works nicely. They need 12-14 hours of consistent light every day. Windows just won't fill this need.
4. Fleece blankets don't work to keep a cage warm.
5. A heating pad isn't going to heat the air in the cage, this is the goal of cage heating. It will heat the floor and pretty much nothing else. They can cause low temperature burns. A hedgehog is less likely to leave the warm spot of the cage to do things like use the wheel, eat, drink, or use the bathroom. A heating pad is a good thing to have on hand for medical issues but not cage heating.
6. Yes you did the right thing. There is a sticky on hibernation, I reccomend you read it, print it and keep it handy.
7. Now you have to prevent it from happening again, the first step is figuring what caused it.
8. For a bit, your hedgehog will be more susceptible to another hibernation attempt as well as illness and infections. When they attempt to hibernate, it is a great stress on their body and all its symptoms. Basically his body was telling him to shut down in order to survive. Something like that doesn't have a quick recovery.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

twobytwopets thank you so much! Sketch is the first hedgie I've ever owned. When I was searching for hedgehog necessities before I got him those things were not on the list, so I'm glad you can help me. I will get those things to reassure his safety. How long will recovery take. One to two weks? Thank you for the information.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry, I was feeling listy there. Unfortunately some lists will leave things out. The important thing is now you know and can correct it.
As far as full recovery time, it's going to vary a decent bit. While some may recover fairly seemlessly, others may take longer. It's the same as when people get sick. Some get over things annoyingly fast, others (myself included) take forever to get over a bug. Keep a close eye on food and water intake, nose and ears for discharge, and any early signs of hibernation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in