Hedgie hasn't pooped or peed - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie hasn't pooped or peed

Edit - I've just checked on her now and she has just pooped!
But I'm still concerned that it took so long?

I've had Stella for almost two months. She was born in February of this year.

It's been about two days since she's peed or pooped. Yet she's been eating fine and drinking water. She was also on her wheel for awhile which I wouldn't think she would do if she wasn't feeling well. She's also been scratching, not a lot but maybe a few times a day she will scratch for about five minutes at a time. I've tried looking at her skin and it looks like she has some dry skin near the top of her head. I've given her one oatmeal bath and will be giving her another one today. I'm hoping it will help her itchiness.

I've also seen some new quills poking out of her skin. Could quilling cause all of this?

Please help as I am very worried about my Hedgie.
I've recently found a vet that sees hedgehogs but I've got no money at the moment and I don't know how much vet bills are for hedgehogs.

I'm sure I could borrow some money if I absolutely need to take her to the vet.

Thank you anyone who helps.

Last edited by StellaBella; 05-19-2016 at 12:29 PM.
StellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get vet insurance right now, it's only $9 a month (nations insurance) and apply for a care credit card. Insurance takes 2 weeks to go in effect.

Not having money is never a reason to withhold vet care for an animal, the animal depends on you and if you can't provide the care they need you shouldn't have a pet.

Their vet care is expensive because they are exotic animals. Someone here has a sick hedgie and the expenses are over $2,000 and its been like a month or two.

Sorry for being so harsh but before getting a pet people should make sure they can provide for them, they are living creatures not stuffed animals.

Your hedgehog might be wuilling or might have mites and you need a vet to rule out any skin problem.

Are you feeding him dried freeze mealworms? What are you feeding him? Are you sure he's not pooping under the fleece or in a place
You haven't seen? How do you know he's eating and drinking?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis-Ichiro View Post
Get vet insurance right now, it's only $9 a month (nations insurance) and apply for a care credit card. Insurance takes 2 weeks to go in effect.

Not having money is never a reason to withhold vet care for an animal, the animal depends on you and if you can't provide the care they need you shouldn't have a pet.

Their vet care is expensive because they are exotic animals. Someone here has a sick hedgie and the expenses are over $2,000 and its been like a month or two.

Sorry for being so harsh but before getting a pet people should make sure they can provide for them, they are living creatures not stuffed animals.

Your hedgehog might be wuilling or might have mites and you need a vet to rule out any skin problem.

Are you feeding him dried freeze mealworms? What are you feeding him? Are you sure he's not pooping under the fleece or in a place
You haven't seen? How do you know he's eating and drinking?

She's fine. My boyfriend would pay for it if needed.. The only reason I personally don't have money is because I just had to spend some on my dog.. She will be fine don't worry about that...

I feed her mealworms that haven't been in the fridge so they don't bite her when she eats them. She eats purina cat food. I did find a couple poops. And I know she's eating and drinking because I can hear her do so. She stays in my room.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

What are the ingredients in that food? Purina is not recommended here, most people think it's garbage. If you can try to find a better food and better to mix 2 or 3 different foods.

The insurance thing is still worth doing.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
What are the ingredients in that food? Purina is not recommended here, most people think it's garbage. If you can try to find a better food and better to mix 2 or 3 different foods.

The insurance thing is still worth doing.
It's purina one smart blend chicken and turkey

Hoping this image works
Old 05-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

For some reason I can't see the image. Can you try again?
Old 05-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
For some reason I can't see the image. Can you try again?
It won't work but here's a link to the product that shows the ingredients.
http://www.petsmart.com/cat/dry-food...6-catid-200028

I've been reading more about their foods and I'm thinking of getting her these two...
Old 05-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you see only the first ingredient is good, then goes rice, corn and poultry by product which is crap.

Ingredients: Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal.

Have you read the stickies on the diet and nutricion part of the forum? Those have great info on what you want in the food and what you don't want.

I'll check the others later.

Tags
hedgehog, hedgehog concerns

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in