Heating, lighting, mites, and sneezing? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heating, lighting, mites, and sneezing?

I just got my 7 months old hedgie 2 days ago. I did some research before I got her, and know to keep temperatures above 70F. That was no big deal because we keep the entire house at 75F. As for lighting goes, I have her cage in my room and she's is not in direct sunlight but is in the right vicinity to wear she gets light from my window all day.. is the sun lighting enough to keep her from attempting hibernation, or should I leave a light on? I'm super paranoid about her attempting hibernation so I just turned up the heater to 78F.

Also, she has been itching a little bit lately and I'm worried it could be mites. I haven't noticed any quill loss, just the occasional itch. I just went out and bought Johnson & Johnsons baby wash today. Should I get an oatmeal body wash instead incase this is just dry skin?

And sneezing. I'm not sure if it's sneezing, or huffing.. is there a noticable difference? Is it possible for me to give her my cold? I wash my hands before and after I handle her.

Just a worried, paranoid, new hedgie mommy

Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Heating, lighting, mites, and sneezing?

Hurra for new baby!

Let's see:
Hibernation is not triggered by light. Most Hediges actually are not a fan of bright light, so regular lamps directly on the cage may not be the best of ideas for her. Hibernation is however triggered by low temperatures. But even though these fellows have roots in the desert, you do not need to now live in a toaster oven. My house is at 73F, my hedgie has a heating element (an electric rock) near where she sleeps. If you want to be super-sure: Check out ceramic heat lamps. I know I saw a guide for these somewhere on this very site!

As for hedgehog noises, check this out: Annoyed Hedgie
This is the 'huffing' or 'snorting' you will hear as a normal sound whenever your hedgie would like to point out that, hey, I have quills and WILL use them to poke you! Even the nicest of hedgies will do this, especially if they have not had a lot of human interaction (yet).
That 'popping' is not a sneeze, it's to make sure that their spines can jerk - if you are a predator, you just got a mouth full of spines pushed at you!

If it IS an actual sneeze, keep an eye on how much food she eats, if she has less or stops and if her stool changes colour, becomes very soft or if she hides and does not want to come out any more.

My baby boy used to have really bad dry skin. Especially during quilling! What my vet suggested worked like a small miracle: I bought small food-supplement capsules of vitamin E. He pointed out that chances are he will get it into his digestive system at some point, so it might as well be food-grade.
Very gently cut the tip of the gel-capsule and drop no more than two capsules a day on their back. Running around and playing will spread the oil by itself. (Mind, sooner or later hedgie WILL need a bath when doing this, I bathed every 3 days in simple warm water.)
You can also try giving this while you give him or her a bath, simply out the oil on the toothbrush you use to groom hedgie when (s)he bathes.
Gesine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Heating, lighting, mites, and sneezing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesine

Let's see:
Hibernation is not triggered by light. Most Hediges actually are not a fan of bright light, so regular lamps directly on the cage may not be the best of ideas for her. Hibernation is however triggered by low temperatures. But even though these fellows have roots in the desert, you do not need to now live in a toaster oven. My house is at 73F, my hedgie has a heating element (an electric rock) near where she sleeps. If you want to be super-sure: Check out ceramic heat lamps. I know I saw a guide for these somewhere on this very site!
Hibernation IS triggered by light. Shorter light cycles = winter, longer light cycles = summer. Winter = hibernating time. It is recommended to have some sort of light source to stimulate summer daylight cycles. For example, I have a desklamp pointed at my boy's cage that turns on at 8am and off at 9pm.

The baby wash isn't good either, it tends to be perfumed, as well as overly drying. Oatmeal washes are the most recommended.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in