MITES. MITES. MITES. :| - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
pzp

Default MITES. MITES. MITES. :|

I didnít know that a problem would occur this early after getting my hedgie. He has mites. He started itching and itching two days after I got him. It couldnít have been because of his cage or where we live. It must be from the pet store. Damnit. I should have checked. :[ I guess I didnít think anything was wrong because I only saw him scratch a couple of times and thought it was just the quills growing... I didnít see anything on him until after two days when I looked VERY closely and noticed white things crawling on his skin. I already have a vet but the girl in his office said he isnít available until after the holidays. First week of Jan. I know I need to consult the vet for the meds, but is there something I can do for the meantime? :[ He isnít losing quills YET, just scratching a lotÖ but I must do something before it gets worse. I donít want the mites to spread. Iíve read on here that you can use mild kitten anti-mite shampoo or oatmealÖ are they really effective? And how often do I bathe him if I use kitten anti-mite shampoo or oatmeal? Sorry. Iím new. -__- I feel so bad for the poor hedgie. I hope it's not contagious! Ugh. I feel like a bad mom.
pzp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: MITES. MITES. MITES. :|

The mites are usually species-specific, so they shouldn't spread to you or any cats/dogs, as far as I know. I'd definitely guess they're from the pet store, especially if they were using wood shavings or any wooden toys or huts in the cage. To help get rid of them until you can get to the vet, dip him in olive oil - it'll suffocate the mites. It's not a long-term fix, since it won't kill any eggs or larvae, but it'll kill the adults for now and may give him a bit of relief until the vet's in. When you do go to the vet, make sure you get kitten Revolution to put on him, NOT Ivermectin. If the vet tries to go with Ivermectin, especially via a shot, be firm and do not back down. Ivermectin is very easy to overdose and since it works by paralyzing the mites, an overdose can paralyze and kill your hedgie. Revolution is applied topically (a few drops on the back of their shoulders) and is nearly impossible to overdose, so it's MUCH safer to use. You'll also want to make sure he has nothing wooden in his cage - fleece and/or flannel liners are much better to use than wood shavings, and plastic igloos or fleece sleeping bags are more sanitary than wooden huts or hideaways.

And don't worry, you're not a bad hedgiemama. It's the pet store's fault that he has this, not yours at all. You're doing the right thing by asking how to help him and getting him to the vet as soon as you can. And while I'm sorry that a health problem is what brought you here, welcome to HHC and we're glad to have you! Feel free to look around and read all of the stickies and any topics, there's TONS of great information on here, as well as a great community!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
pzp

Thank you for the info! <3 Hey, do you think anti-mite shapoos for kittens are too strong? My mom almost bathed him with one.~ :\

Old 12-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

The problem with lots of kitten/dog shampoos is that they are high in perfumes and hedgie noses are very very sensitive.

Also, what might be in it? The other problem is that we don't quite know what is truly safe. If you post the ingredients perhaps some here may be able to comment on it. And if you do try it, be sure you know it will be atyour own discretion with possible dangers. But, it may work and it may be safe.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Has anyone ever reported catching mites or their dog/cat from their hedgie?
wewerebound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
pzp

Yes, actually. I read it somewhere online.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ive dealt with a real bad case of mites and it wasn't as hard and stressfull as I thought it was going to be. Revolution certanly takes care of them. If you have more than 1 hog I would treat both of them to be safe.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in