blood in urine- saw vet no change - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post blood in urine- saw vet no change

i have a 4 year old boy hedgehog, ive had him his whole life. he had a bloody rash on his butt from scratching and diahreah and i brought him to the vet and he said he had an infection and gave him two weeks of antibiotics (baytril). the diahreah went away as well as the butt issue right away but i noticed his pee was brown and bloody. the doc said finish the antibiotcs and see if it gets better. it didnt. he took 3d xrays and said there is definitely no visible kidney stones or tumors or any abnormalities. he has a new antibiotic and urinary tract health cat food and liquid acidophilous which i have to put on a treat so he will eat it. its been almost another week on this and his pee is yellow alot of the time but it bloody at least once a day. and he is now today adamantly refusing the antibiotics. what do i do for him? how do i know if he is ok? the doctor doesnt know what to do more...
we keep the house at 70-72 and he has a heating pad under his house for snuggling warmth.his cage is by the window so he gets a regular light (even though he hides from it) he runs on his wheel and is taken out almost every nite either to watch tv with me or run on the floor. hes a little chunky but always has been and is active so the doc said its ok.
please give me your feedback
4misstara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: blood in urine- saw vet no change

I cant offer any advice towards the blood but I can offer some housing advice.
Heat pads don't do anything as far as air temp. He really should have a CHE or a space heater to bring the air temp up to 75. Some hogs are really sensitive and as they get older become ore so. 70-72 is just to low. Plus being by the window he probably gets drafts
They also need a 12-14 hour light schedule. Outside light doesn't work because the days get shorter which is what causes hibernation. You can get a light set up for like $20 and well worth it, just a desk light and a timer.
Can he roll in a complete ball? If not a diet could be needed. Just slowly add a lower fat food and he'll drop some grams.
Good luck with him. Hopefully someone can help with the blood. ( hugs

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes he can roll in a ball with everything inside and he is already eating low fat high protein food. The new urinary tract food that i added half of has a little higher fat of 13.5 but its the only one I could get in a hurry. Im now looking online for something better. He eats 1.5 tablespoons per day. The window is not drafty, I put that shrink wrap sealant every winter to make sure. I will get him a light. As for the heat im moving next week and the new place is very warm... so that will be halpful. But he is happy and active so what about the pee?
4misstara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Has your vet recommended having a culture and sensitivity test done? A culture would determine what type of bacteria your hedgehog has and the sensitivity test will determine which antibiotic will be the best at killing it. I had a male who had a UTI that wouldn't clear up. We determined that the bacteria that had infected him was resistant to the antibiotics we were using. Once we switched to the test recommended antibiotic, his problem cleared up.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

When you say you feed him a a high protein food, how high do you mean? It's recommended that the protein be around 30%. If it's too high it can cause health problems but I'm not sure if it's the kind of problem you're having with your boy. I hope you find out what's wrong and he gets better.

Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in