Quill loss continued since Nov 2008 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quill loss continued since Nov 2008

You'd think little Satin would be completely bald by now; fortunately, she keeps growing more quills. But never fast enough to replace the ones she's losing. At my previous postings, she had a couple more concentrated spots of quill loss and the beginning of a general thinning. Currently, she has thinning all over with no spot much more bare than the other.

A new symptom emerged up as her quills continued to fall: very dry skin. Her skin not only appears dry and flaky, it appears thickened. As this hasn't responded to flaxseed oil on her kibble nor an oatmeal bath, I brought her to the vet.

The history leading up to this is posted at: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1136 and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1236. In short, she began losing quills in November along with some weight. She had dry skin successfully treated with an oatmeal bath and topical flaxseed oil. I brought her to the vet who found bacteria in her urine. She was on Baytril; that cleared up the bacterial infection. But she kept losing quills. The vet did several skin scrapings. They all came back negative for mites. The vet did a skin biopsy and found some evidence of yeast, but not enough to cause her to want to treat it. She, instead recommended diet changes: "hedgehog pellets" more crickets and mealies and beta carotene. We treated her with Revolution as a preventative measure. She now weights 620g (down from a max of 680g; though she usually weighed around 660g) and has been stable at that weight for one month.

Back to the vet visit yesterday... Her vet is concerned and has reached out to other vets for consults. What was decided is that the yeast infection has taken over. To counter this, Satin is now prescribed:

1. Sunshine Factor (it's replacing the drop of beta carotene from the capsules made for human consumption; its red palm oil and, purportedly, is more readily bioavailable to hedgies than it is in the other form) - a couple drops added to her kibble 1x/day.
2. DMG (stands for Dimethylglycine - another vitamin boost for hedgie) - 0.15cc/day. She was on this before at 0.3cc/day, but it made her poops messy, so I had discontinued that with the vet's okay.
3. ketoconazole 6mg/0.5cc suspension (intended as an antifungal; compounded to taste like roasted chicken) - 0.5cc/day orally.
4. hexadene antimicrobial cleansing shampoo - one bath/week.

I gave #'s 1, 3, & 4 to her last night. She was unimpressed with the bath, as usual. But didn't act much more displeased than usual. Her skin doesn't look terribly different today. I didn't get to #2 last night as I could tell she had quite enough of everything already. I plan to space that out at a different time - maybe mornings.

She didn't poop much at all last night; I didn't see any evidence of peeing either. So I'm a bit concerned that it could be medication side-effects. Has anyone used these meds before? I don't recall anyone posting about #3 and wanted to check in with folks on that... particularly as my google searches on "ketoconazole" and "hedgehog" turn up weird things...
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Quill loss continued since Nov 2008

Are you feeding her hedgie food? From what Ive learned in here, hedgie food is generally bad for them, some actually kills them. If you're still feeding her that, it could be affecting her negatively.
Just a thought.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im sorry about your little one! Sounds like you're doing your absolute best for her though She has nothing to worry about.
Im stupid and forgot I had read your other post and obviously you know what not to feed your hedige. My bad!
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

No problem JackJack. She does have Spike's Delite Premium, but I'm continuing with the CSCLS lite and Wellness Indoor Cat. She really does prefer the CSCLS over the Wellness and both of those over Spikes.

Happily she peed for me when I had her out for play time. Not so much poop though For now, I'm going to hope I wake up to a super poopy wheel.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am actually very familiar with yeast/fungal infections. Don't use antibacterial wipes or soaps anywhere near her. Boost her intake of acidophilus live cultured yogurt would be best. Now this next suggestion is something I would do but you can be the judge. Go get some real original non-flavored Listerene. It is a natural anti yeast/fungal. Put a cap full in a sink full of water and dunk her in it. It really does work.... on humans anyway. I have yet to need to do it to a hedgie but I would in a heartbeat. Don't get it in her eyes as it would sting. But otherwise is perfectly safe. You can also put a curly light bulb of about 100 watts on her cage during the daytime. The UVA output is high and kills some yeasts and fungus. I know they sleep hidden from the light but every bit helps. Keep her cage as dry as possible. Yeast/fungus like dark, warm, moist areas. So you need to make the yeast/fungus home as inhospitable as possible. Change her liners, litter often. If possible wash everything in hot water with a little bleach to kill everything. Sometimes yeast/fungal infections can be an ongoing war. But if you stay persistent you will see results.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I keep hoping little Satin will start recovering from whatever problem is causing her quill loss. Such a pretty little girl! I remember her birthday pictures being held by Mommy and falling asleep on Mommy's arm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Satin would like you to know she is still a beautiful girl...
[attachment=1:2qtidc0h]satin 021609 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2qtidc0h]

even with so many quills in her quill bowl...
[attachment=0:2qtidc0h]quill bowl 022809 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2qtidc0h]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg satin 021609 (Medium).jpg (34.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg quill bowl 022809 (Medium).jpg (40.4 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

How is Satin now? How did the Sunshine factor result? The vet here just recommended it for Sylvie, who also has dry skin, quill loss, slight yeast & no mites. I was hesitant to get the product until hearing others' experiences
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not sure how much it helped since she's been on so many different things in addition to it. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt and Satin loves like how it tastes. If I open the little bottle too close to her, she'll run over and try to eat it straight out of there. Silly hedgie

Her quill loss has slowed down tremendously. She had been losing between 15 and 30 (sometimes over 30) quills a day. Now I just find between 0 and 4 a day. Yippee for Satin.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yay Satin! I really hope she is getting better. That is an awful lot of quills to lose.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in