Less active and the vet is away - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Less active and the vet is away

Penny usually gets on her wheel around 12:30 or 1 am, a little while after I put her back in her cage after I spend some time with her. Last night she didn't wheel until after 3 am, and the night before she didn't come out of her snuggle bag after lights out. I got her out of there around 2:30 or so. Last night when I put her back in her cage she ate for quite a while and drank, and then hid under her wheel until well after 3. I was dozing in and out, as I have a tendency to fall asleep on the couch while watching TV, and I realized I didn't hear any wheeling so I went over to check on her. I'm concerned. I called the vet this morning and the exotic vet is away until next Tuesday! I have the option of seeing the regular vet tomorrow, who has seen hedgehogs, but only in her residency, or waiting and watching until Tuesday. I guess I'm wondering how concerned I should be, or if I'm missing some other piece to the puzzle. Her cage temp stays between 77 and 79 consistently. I check it often during the night. I keep odd hours myself. I don't hear any raspy breathing (I don't think) or any nasal discharge. She licks her nose a lot, but she's always done that and the vet wasn't concerned.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Less active and the vet is away

I am definitely not an expert, but I wanted to post and let you know what I would do if I was in your shoes as no one else has posted yet and I can tell you're worried.

In my opinion, if she is eating and drinking and pooping regularly, she is probably fine. There are nights that my hog doesn't wheel nearly as much as she normally does. I have no idea why, but that's just how she is. Her "average" is about 3 hours total a night and her wheel is just plastered with poo, but a few weeks ago she went 3 nights and only had a little dried pee on her wheel and the poo was elsewhere in her cage, leading me to believe she didn't wheel as much as normal.

Her temp sounds good, it sounds like she's eating and drinking. If her poo is healthy and you are able to listen to her breathing some more to be certain she isn't wheezy, I think you'd be okay to wait a couple days and keep a close eye on her. If she still isn't acting normally by Monday and you are still worried, I would call the vet and set up an appointment. Even if she is just fine, you will get some peace of mind from an expert.

If anything changes, just post again. Like I said before, I'm no expert, but I've had my hog for 7 months and have read a LOT here at HHC and my opinion about things like this usually tends to match up to what Nancy, Kalandra, etc say.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the reply. I was worried, but I also tend to be a bit paranoid, and this is my first hedgie. It's so different from dogs and cats! They're easy to figure out. I decided to call around and see if I could find another exotic vet, and managed to locate one a little further away than my usual vet, so we went to see him today. I noticed some of her poop was green this morning, so that coupled with the change in activity made me really want to get her to a vet. I liked the new vet a lot, and she actually unrolled for him. He was patient with her. The vet also said that the change in activity was probably not a big deal, and he said to monitor her poop and call back if it's still off color in a few more days. He said she looked good and she showed no signs of a URI. The office visit was less expensive than my usual vet too. So now I have two exotic vets I can see, which is nice, and I have some peace of mind.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's good to hear. I, too, am a paranoid hog owner. I think most of us here at HHC are

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in