Are these health issues? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are these health issues?

Hey everyone. I posted a thread in the summer about adopting a hedgehog named Hudson. Well his flaky and dry skin has not gone away, it went away for about 2 weeks then I noticed it was back. I have it under control by giving him medicine around once a week, but it's not going away and I just want it to be gone. He also makes an odd noise I could only describe as hiccuping, however I have a feeling that isn't it. He does it wherever and whenever, and it lasts for about half a minute before stopping, and he lurches while doing it but his quills are never up like he's trying to spike me.
He's also got a weird discoloration near his eyes. The skin looks almost dirty.
On a good note..
I have got him used to me, but he prefers to just snuggle up in a towel rather then be touched. If i try to pick him up with my bare hands he gets upset, but he's a bit more okay with a towel(if I do it right he won't ball up).
He's also gone from 800-900g to 500 last I checked..which was some time ago, but he runs on his wheel ALLLL night. He's still rather chubby and when he foams and tries to lick himself he can't reach any of his quills. Just leaves it blobbed on himself.

Sorry for any typos or things that don't make sense, sent from tapatalk on my iPod touch.
Alana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Are these health issues?

what you're describing sounds like he is just enjoying his "guy time". male hedgehogs tend to masturbate whenever and wherever they want.

as far as the eye stuff....i'd take him to a vet sounds like maybe an upper respiratory infection, eye infection, or something like that.

him not liking being touched could be because of his skin condition. jeremiah (who we can't get his skin cleared up) is the same way with not liking to be touched so i figure touching him probably either hurts or really irritates him because of whatever he's got going on with his skin.

is the weight loss because he's on a weight loss food or is this just something that happened because that's a lot of weight loss so if it's not the food it would definitely be a cause for concern no matter how fat he is. is he able to fully ball up? does he have fat rolls around his legs? if not then he is not overweight. a lot of hedgies can't reach or don't wanna completely reach their backs when annointing (jeremiah annoints only on his stomach and the bottom of his sides and he is still a little under weight, some just prefer other areas)
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwk1
what you're describing sounds like he is just enjoying his "guy time". male hedgehogs tend to masturbate whenever and wherever they want.

as far as the eye stuff....i'd take him to a vet sounds like maybe an upper respiratory infection, eye infection, or something like that.

him not liking being touched could be because of his skin condition. jeremiah (who we can't get his skin cleared up) is the same way with not liking to be touched so i figure touching him probably either hurts or really irritates him because of whatever he's got going on with his skin.

is the weight loss because he's on a weight loss food or is this just something that happened because that's a lot of weight loss so if it's not the food it would definitely be a cause for concern no matter how fat he is. is he able to fully ball up? does he have fat rolls around his legs? if not then he is not overweight. a lot of hedgies can't reach or don't wanna completely reach their backs when annointing (jeremiah annoints only on his stomach and the bottom of his sides and he is still a little under weight, some just prefer other areas)
Well it's good to know that's just "guy time" lol.. That will be interesting to explain to the parents.

If I got a pic of his eyes and uploaded it do you think you could take a look at it first? The prices on small animals are a bit insane, and I'm not even sure if a vet in town can do hedgehogs, so we might have to take a trip and with gas prices that would be a bit annoying if it turned out to be nothing.

And his weight loss is because he didn't have a wheel before. We got him one and he runs on it ALLLLL NIGHT. Well, he drinks and eats then runs on it. Trust me he gets more then enough food. I think he's stable at 500, and thanks for letting me know on all of this stuff it takes a load off of my mind.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

Pictures always help.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

The hiccuping you describe might not be "boy time." Brillo does it too- and I know it isn't "boy time." Brillo usually does it as he is settling down, sleeping, or dozing in my lap. I always figured they were little sleepy hiccups. I figured it was like when people fell asleep and you get little sleep twitches.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

just like human men who fall asleep right after intercourse making their woman mad,some male hedgies will masturbate as they are settling down to sleep (both of my boys do it) even if its just for a couple seconds they are still having "boy time" and taking care of business. the hiccuping sound you're hearing may be little chirps of happiness (jakob does this during masturbation as well as when he is asleep and when he's happy. i think he just likes making the noise he does it so much lol.
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

certainly an.. interesting, discussion lol.

Anyways, Sorry for the late post, just been busy with animals, apparently they all decide to show issues at the same time.
Hudson wasn't eating for about 4 days, but my mom has been helping me look up foods to give him and we've been giving him more variety, apparently hes tasted the "Fine cuisine" so hes never going back, lol. hes been eating again though.. takes a load off of my mind.

Heres a picture of Hudson and his eye area, I haven't had time to snap the most recent one, but it still looks like this... I don't know if anyone else can tell, but it looks more dirty right near his eyes? I don't know if it just a darker coloration of what lol.. still so new to the hedgehogs.

ANYWAYS,
Thanks everyone for your responses so far, and thanks in advance for anymore I get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hudson.jpg (62.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh goodness, what an adorable picture!

It looks like the darkness near his eyes is just his coloration, but I'm no expert.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar-uh
Oh goodness, what an adorable picture!

It looks like the darkness near his eyes is just his coloration, but I'm no expert.
That's great to know thanks for the response!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

He is gorgeous!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in