Saw a vet today and I'm still concerned. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Saw a vet today and I'm still concerned.

I adopted Theodore a week and a half ago from some owners that didn't treat him very well. He is 8 months old and very frightened. He was terrorized quite a bit at his old home (wrapped in a towel and poked etc.) and he is pretty hard to get a close look at sometimes. A few days ago I noticed his ears were very dry and ragged at the edges and his skin is very dry. I was concerned that he maybe had mites or some kind of infection. I tried to check to see if I could find any mites but he doesn't seem to have any (that I can see). He also hasn't been itching. I took him to a vet this morning that said that they treat hedge hogs. I explained to the vet what his symptoms were and what I thought they could be. She just looked at him and said "well I think you did my diagnosing for me". She prescribed him something called revolution that she applied a small drop to his skin for his mites (I apply another drop in a month) and then told me I could put canesten on his ears for his fungal infection. She thinks he has a mild case of mites and a fungal infection on his ears. I feel like she didn't even look at him or give him a proper inspection but I figured she knows a heck of a lot more than me.... so I took him home and cleaned his cage and bedding and disinfected everything. He was pretty traumatized so I let him go back to sleep and I thought I would try putting canesten on his ears tonight when he woke up. That didn't go well at all. He was terrified that I kept touching around his face and I couldn't get close to his ears at all. He ended up biting me which he has never done before. I'm not really sure what to do now..... any suggestions?
corburful00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Saw a vet today and I'm still concerned.

Poor little thing I have a rescue hog who was 1.5yrs and not very friendly at all, and the best piece of advice I got was never to put him back home or down after he bites, because then he knows exactly what to do to get away from you. I would just keep persevering with him, even if it takes ages he'll have to learn that its for the best & that you aren't going to give up!

You could perhaps try just stroking him until he's calm, and slowly get closer and closer to his ears & then have some lotion ready on one finger to give it a quick rub?

Good luck, he sounds like he's had a fantastic turn in life coming to live with you x
rachaellyndsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Saw a vet today and I'm still concerned.

Honestly? I'd just leave him alone and give him some time to wind down and realize this is his new home. His ears are most likely just tattered(basically just dirty and gunky) which can be solved once he's not so scared with some bag balm. Let him have some peace and quiet to settle in. Stick an old (and worn) shirt on the cage with him and just leave him be. Talk to him everytime you do something near or in his cage and just let him realize he's not going to be poked and prodded. Then slowly see if you can bribe him with food so that he comes out on his own. Take things slow. It sounds like he's had a traumatizing life, so let him know that he can relax without getting poked and prodded.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in