How to Care for a Hedgehog [HHAR] - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Silent spinners still are dangerous. It's unsanitary and can cause health issues to leave water in the dish for more than a day.
Honestly, that's as far as I made it.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah I put them as unsafe.
Okay

Momma of Clementine, an albino hedgie <3
Petlover500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Unless you are keeping this very basic (maybe last sentence should highlight that) in Wheeling you could mention that they should not get wheel under 12week old. Heating good point, and from experience, as I only just been researching about hedgies there is not much in internet with example photos (and people pay attention to photos more so this could be good idea for your web) So like, examples of heating install, playpens even food. Also I don't know if its available in States but in UK we have this amazing mat - VetBed it's expensive but amazing for people who don't have time to clean cage every day. We also use vivariums. I thought I'd share some ideas
Zanka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanka View Post
Unless you are keeping this very basic (maybe last sentence should highlight that) in Wheeling you could mention that they should not get wheel under 12week old. Heating good point, and from experience, as I only just been researching about hedgies there is not much in internet with example photos (and people pay attention to photos more so this could be good idea for your web) So like, examples of heating install, playpens even food. Also I don't know if its available in States but in UK we have this amazing mat - VetBed it's expensive but amazing for people who don't have time to clean cage every day. We also use vivariums. I thought I'd share some ideas
Why no wheel under 12 weeks?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanka View Post
Thank you so much for the input!
I will try to get some photos in there- I just have to take some good quality ones of my own

Old 08-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Water bowl needs cleaned and fresh clean water every day. If there is a reason behind it not being a requirement, I'd love to hear it.
They will walk through their dishes, lapping up water causes backwash, some even pee or poop in their water, dust and skin debris can settle in the water. Depending on the dish, cage set up and hedgehog, the only thing that is visible is poop.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Whoops I dont know why I havent changed that yet... Must have skipped over it on accident!
Haha thanks

Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Babies can have a wheel as soon as they are weaned. There is no reason to wait till they are 12 weeks old. Some babies won't use a wheel right away but they still should have access to one.
twobytwopets likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

You need to understand this unfortunate fact. People don't always do the right things, like doing research on an animal they adopt. While they should, they don't. And many times, they will only look in one place.
So, in the event that a person adopts an animal from you, your care information may be the only information they see. Or even if they don't and find your page looking for a rabbit but read the hedgehog information and decide that they should get a hedgehog.

Here is my suggestion taking that sad fact into consideration. Break it down into sections. One fact at a time, ask yourself how accurate it is? Is it a good practice? Is your message coming across clearly? Can you back it up, will someone find the same information elsewhere? How current is your information? Is it all the information?

Quote:
First off, they need a mix of good quality & high in protein dry adult cat food daily (wet and dry).
Exapmle: look at that section I pulled from your site.
how accurate it is? Moderately, do they need wet and dry? Can they have just one?
Is it a good practice? Yes, with an understanding of the next issues
Is your message coming across clearly? That depends on what your trying to get across.
Can you back it up, will someone find the same information elsewhere? Parts of it, yes.
How current is your information? OUTDATED. Back in the 90's early 2000's that was part of the standard answer. High protein, low fat. Since then, pet food manufactures went higher in the protein. *see the next question*
Is it all the information? Nope. Fat isn't mentioned at all. Good quality is very interpretive, nothing about identifying what is and isn't good quality, i.e. Meat as the first ingredient. High protein, "50% is the highest I can find so that's THE food."

Please understand I'm not trying to rip your information apart, I actually had to look for a section that I could break apart. You obviously care a great deal and have gone through a lot of work building your site. Some sections may need to have a sub-page with more detailed information.
Petlover500 likes this.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
You need to understand this unfortunate fact. People don't always do the right things, like doing research on an animal they adopt. While they should, they don't. And many times, they will only look in one place.
So, in the event that a person adopts an animal from you, your care information may be the only information they see. Or even if they don't and find your page looking for a rabbit but read the hedgehog information and decide that they should get a hedgehog.

Here is my suggestion taking that sad fact into consideration. Break it down into sections. One fact at a time, ask yourself how accurate it is? Is it a good practice? Is your message coming across clearly? Can you back it up, will someone find the same information elsewhere? How current is your information? Is it all the information?

Exapmle: look at that section I pulled from your site.
how accurate it is? Moderately, do they need wet and dry? Can they have just one?
Is it a good practice? Yes, with an understanding of the next issues
Is your message coming across clearly? That depends on what your trying to get across.
Can you back it up, will someone find the same information elsewhere? Parts of it, yes.
How current is your information? OUTDATED. Back in the 90's early 2000's that was part of the standard answer. High protein, low fat. Since then, pet food manufactures went higher in the protein. *see the next question*
Is it all the information? Nope. Fat isn't mentioned at all. Good quality is very interpretive, nothing about identifying what is and isn't good quality, i.e. Meat as the first ingredient. High protein, "50% is the highest I can find so that's THE food."

Please understand I'm not trying to rip your information apart, I actually had to look for a section that I could break apart. You obviously care a great deal and have gone through a lot of work building your site. Some sections may need to have a sub-page with more detailed information.

No, no, thank you so much for helping me!!! I really want my site to be as accurate as possible. I really appreciate this!
twobytwopets likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in