Possible allergy? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible allergy?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit worried about my little Nuala. I've only had her for just over a week, but have noticed some sores on her underside.

- Nuala is just over 7 weeks old (dob 9/25/11)
-I picked her up on 11/6/11 from the breeder
- The biggest change has been her transition to my house. The breeder uses kiln dried aspen shavings and that's what I started using. I changed to fleece on 11/10/11, but had noticed the marks prior to the change to fleece.
- Her tempurature is kept between 74 and 75 degrees.
-I don't yet have a light, but instead use the natural light of the day and then have the lamp on in the evening until about 11:00pm

About a day after bringing her home, I noticed what seemed to be a dry spot on her lower stomach, by her genitals. I also noticed something on her left back leg. As the days past, the became more obvious.

I just picked up a scale to weigh her and she weighs 161 grams.

I think her poop is normal. When I first got her, it was diarrehea, but by the 3rd day here, it started to be come a bit more solid. it's still fairly soft, but formed. it's brown in color. Not very smelly.

Her urine seems normal.

her nose is wet and I have caught her sneezing, but just occassionally. not at any specific time. She does seem to lick her nose as well.

Her breathing seems normal and nothing concerning about it.

She seems to be eating well. I'm using the same food that the breeder gave me. Purina One Cat food.

I'm was going to try to post pictures of her skin, but it's not letting me. It's says my pics are too big the spots on her skin seem to be sores b/c they are reddish in color and a bit scabby.

I took her to the vet on 11/11/11 and he told me to apply "HealX Soother Plus topical cream" once a day. He said that it didn't present like mites and that it could that her skin was irritated from previously having diarrhea. at the time that I brought her to the vet, the sores were down by her genitals. now there is one up by her left front leg.

The breeder thought that maybe she's allergic to the fleece. I guess that could be, but she seemed to have small spots even before I started using the fleece.

Any feedback would be appreciated

nualasmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Possible allergy?

If you email me the pictures I will shrink them and post. [email protected]

It could be a staph infection, especially if she gets more sores. Or, possibly you used a different brand of aspen shavings. From what I have noticed over the years, aspen is more likely to cause allergies than kiln dried pine. Did you give her a bath after you took her off the aspen. If not, it would be a good idea to get all the aspen dust and residue off her and see if it helps.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
If you email me the pictures I will shrink them and post. [email protected]

It could be a staph infection, especially if she gets more sores. Or, possibly you used a different brand of aspen shavings. From what I have noticed over the years, aspen is more likely to cause allergies than kiln dried pine. Did you give her a bath after you took her off the aspen. If not, it would be a good idea to get all the aspen dust and residue off her and see if it helps.
Thank you Nancy! I just emailed you the photos. I gave her a bath after I put the fleece in her cage, but then used the aspen again when I bought her to the vet. So I'll have to bathe her again to see if that helps.

If it is a Staph infection, will she be ok? I'm going to make an appt. for the vet for Thursday or Friday, but will it just be a matter of giving her medicine and then she'll be ok?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nuala sores.jpg (29.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Nuala sores (2).jpg (31.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Nuala sores (3).jpg (31.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Nuala sores (4).jpg (34.7 KB, 13 views)

Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I just added the pictures to your last post. It doesn't look like a typical staph infection but it still could be, or it could be allergy. I would take her completely off the aspen and use only liners to see if it clears up. Does she scratch at the sores or bite at them? If it is a staph infection, antibiotics will clear it right up.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've taken her off the aspen. I'll also give her a warm bath to ensure that she doesn't have any left over dust or anything. No, she doesn't really bother with the sores. I have caught her itching below her ear with her back foot on 2 occassions. Other than that, she seems to be acting normal. I appreciate the help!

I've made a follow up appointment with the vet for Friday afternoon, so I"m hoping that it's something that can be cleared up with some medicine. Thanks again!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Talking Re: Possible allergy?

I think that Nuala is starting to get better, but am still a bit anxious. Since the last time I posted, I returned her to the vet on 11/18/11 who decided to treat her for mites and an infection to be safe. He was not 100% sure what it is, but he gave her a Ivermectin injection (which I won't be returning to give her again because my breeder pointed out a post on here explaining that those injections could be fatal) and gave me Baytril that I have to administer to her 0.1ml by mouth 2x/day. The night before taking her to the vet, I noticed her loosing quills, but not her long quills, just little short ones. Since the vet, the spots on her tummy and her legs are almost all cleared up. Interestingly, it wasn't until at the vet on the 18th that I noticed her itching herself and that has continued through today. She's continuing to eat well and gain weight. on 11/11, she weighed 171, on 11/18, she weighed 192, on 11/20, she weighed 196 and tonight she weighed 200. I did notice tonight that when she pooped, most of it was brown, but the last one she did had a green tint to it. Which I had also noticed sporatically prior to tonight. That worries me. All throughout this, she's had a great attitude, been eating well and active at night (as evidenced by her poo smeared wheel that i wake up to in the AM)

Just to review, I first picked her up from the breeder on 11/5/11 and brought her home in the shavings that the breeder was using (kiln dried pine). At home I put her in my cage that had aspen shavings. About 4 days later (11/9), I switched her bedding to the custom made fleece liner, but still used the aspen shavings to transport her to the vet on 11/11 which was the last time she had contact with aspen shavings. That evening she had her first bath with the Baby Aveeno Oatmeal soap. Her condition actually got worse (more spots showing up on her belly) by around the 14th. In reading on here, I got the idea to give her a warm bath with just a little bit of olive oil, so I gave her a 2nd bath on the 15th with a little bit of olive oil. I then took her back to the vet on the 18th when he started the antibiotic and mite treatment. I gave her a plain warm bath with no soap or oil on the 19th.

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Has Nuala gotten any better after the mite treatment?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi

She seems to be doing better. Her belly has cleared all up, the only thing I've noticed now is some quilling and flaking of her skin. She does still itch too. She's just completed her 2 week regimine of Baytril. I never brought her back to the vet for a second Ivermectin shot after reading threads on here about the negative side effects. I actually ended up ordering Revolution on line and by chance, it just arrived in the mail today. I'm thinking of putting some on her back as a preventative measure. I'm hoping that her flaking and loosing of quills is due to her adult quills coming in (I can see new quills poking through her skin).

Her appetite, pooping, peeing, and activity all seem great. She's also continued to gain weight consistently. Tipping the scales at 224 grams yesterday. She gains an average of about 2 grams a day, sometimes a little more.

I've also picked up Flaxseed Oil and was thinking of rubbing some into her back. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for checking in!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in