possible URI? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default possible URI?

Ok, here's the facts:

Had her: 4 weeks
Recent changes: New cage, new CHI, new light with 12 hour timer.
Temperature: 77*-79*
Lighting schedule: Until 5 days ago, just the window, but now I have a light with timer. (6am-6pm)

Poop: Was fine on the 11th, but the last two nights, has been runny diarrhea.

Nose: Licking nose constantly since the 10th or so. I haven't heard her sneeze, nor does she have mucus from her eyes, and I haven't seen any from her nose, maybe because she's licking it up?

Breathing: I noticed her nose had started whistling the night of the 10th. She seemed to have almost a phlemy breath? Not sure how to describe it, but when we have a cold or the flu and breath out or try to talk, and the mucus gets in the way? (I know that might make no sense, but I don't know how else to describe it )

Eating: Normal amount.

Drinking: Was normal amount on the 10th. 11th and 12th, very little water is gone from her bottle.

Skin: Her skin appears fine. I haven't seen any flakes or anything. I do think she is quilling, though, on top of all this. I'm finding 15-25 quills in her cage in the morning.

Activity: She looks like she's been on her wheel the normal amount. I work very odd hours, so when I got home at 3 this morning, she was wheeling away, had eaten and had drank some water.

Behavior: 3 days ago, or so, she became really huffy, but when I would finally get her out of her cage and on my chest, (I take her out and bring her on my bed so she can roam around and cuddle when she wants) she would just lay there and stare at me. She's a cuddler by nature (and oh how I love that ) but she won't cuddle, she won't explore, she won't do anything. So I thought maybe she's trying to go into hibernation. A little over a week ago, we built her a bigger cage, and on the 9th, I got her a CHE and a light on a timer. The temperature in her cage has been the same as her old cage. The 11th and 12th, she won't even unball for me. I haven't changed my lotions, but I did switch to an unscented hand soap before picking her up, instead of the usual pump soap we have, because she would lick our hands and sometimes even bite at them.

Either way, I have a vet appt for her tomorrow (the 14th). With the nose licking, the recent diarrhea, lowered water intake, lethargy, and behavioral changes, I don't want to risk anything.

Could it be the new cage? She has the same wheel, the same potty pan, same bedding, same fleece liners, same food, same filtered water..

I feel like I can't do anything right with her
stephanymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ericarad
Default Re: possible URI?

I'm not sure, but I'm glad you're bringing her to the vet!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Brillo just got over an URI, and your hedgehog's symptoms pretty much match his. He didn't have much snot but he just sounded congested. It's a good thing you are bringing your hedgie to the vet- only they can give you a confirmed diagnosis. I'm sure you are a great hedgie mom and will get yours feeling better real soon!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, we went to the vet today..and nothing! I'm honestly a bit upset about it all. Basically, he said that her symptoms aren't "extreme" enough to prescribe antibiotics. I understand, treating with antibiotics unnecessarily is bad news, but how bad does she have to be? He said I brought her in too early..basically.

Also, she is quilling right now. The skin on her visor is pretty red, so he checked her for mites..none..and yet he says "if she continues to lose so many quills, I want to give her a shot for mites" even though she has no sign of mites, and quilling is normal. I'm just so frustrated. He was impatient with her huffing, he didn't even test her for a bacterial or viral infection. It was like he was more concerned with getting to his lunch.

Am I doing all this too soon? Or should I find another vet? I payed a vet today to tell me I'm too concerned.

She was so stressed out today, and honestly so was I..should I wait to take her to another vet for a day so she can calm down?

Please help
Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ericarad

I'd get a second, or even third opinion..

Are there any other exotics vets in your are you can go to?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

The only other exotic pet vet I know of is another office of the same company. I am searching now. Anyone live in Washington state that could help me out?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

The way I see it, if you don't leave the vet feeling better, you should find a new vet. Even if it's the same company, a different vet could be completely different.

It's also really stupid that he wouldn't give you antibiotics right away to try to kick the potential URI before it gets bad! Ugh. And I'm assuming that by a "shot for mites" he meant Iver. Siiigh. I wonder about these vets!!

Maybe make a new thread titled "Washington state vet recommendations". Hopefully someone in your area has a decent vet!

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in