Clipped Pearls quick :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Clipped Pearls quick :(

I clipped pearls quick and she is/was in a lot of pain and I cried really hard and I think she cried when I put her back in her hut Her nails go sooo quickly I am having a hard time keeping with it...she just wont hold still. I don't really want to spend $100 just to have the vet put sleeping gas on her to clip them either every week. I have tried the tub thing but I can't see her toes very well. I picked her up after it happend and she bit me really hard, which made me cry harder....i hope that by biting me she felt better poor pearl. I feel very sad about it still. She is just so active she just refuses to hold still ever. Any suggestions for a hedgehog with adhd?

beehivehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Clipped Pearls quick :(

Aw, I'm sorry. My husband accidentally cut the quick on Petunia last week and he felt so bad. If the bleeding has stopped, I would just give her some time to herself. She's probably a little freaked out.

On the plus side, Petunia's paw healed super fast. We gave her daily foot baths and dipped her paw in flour if it started bleeding again.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beehivehedgie
I clipped pearls quick and she is/was in a lot of pain and I cried really hard and I think she cried when I put her back in her hut Her nails go sooo quickly I am having a hard time keeping with it...she just wont hold still. I don't really want to spend $100 just to have the vet put sleeping gas on her to clip them either every week. I have tried the tub thing but I can't see her toes very well. I picked her up after it happend and she bit me really hard, which made me cry harder....i hope that by biting me she felt better poor pearl. I feel very sad about it still. She is just so active she just refuses to hold still ever. Any suggestions for a hedgehog with adhd?
Every hedgehog owner has done this. Its a pretty stressfull thing to do I understand,but remember if your stressed than they can probably sence that. Are you just doing it yourself? If so, try to get a friend or someone to help you. What I use to do is, I wrapped stitch in a towel, have me hold him and my mom clip his front nails.I know how you feel though, its scary seeing them bleed.. As long as it wasnt bleeding tons than she'll be okay. Offer her one of her favorite treats as a peace offering and just check her toe the next day to make sure its not infected. Theres many threads on the site where you can seek more advice

Holly.Kinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hedgies tend to be pretty forgiving- from what I've experienced so far. (Brillo has been on oral medications for a IRU and he absolutely refuses to cooperate when he needs it.)

For clipping his nails, I've found that right after his bath (the keratin is softer) I get him wrapped in a towel and give him a yummy treat. I let his legs pop out below the towel and my boyfriend holds him while a clip. He hardly notices and holds still...mildly. I'm sure Pearl will forgive you! You were just being a good parent!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Awww Poor baby!! She'll be ok! Some animals just like to make a bigger deal out of things than what they really are My dog had a disgusting broken nail that was hanging from a thread, and wasn't even limping....

I have to do Henriettas nails tomorrow after her bath... Im sure shell love it

JW why do you guys tend to use more household things to stop bleeding? Why not just get some quick stop?
setterchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setterchick
JW why do you guys tend to use more household things to stop bleeding? Why not just get some quick stop?
I've heard that quick stop really stings.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I've held Amelia over my knee with her little legs dangling and had her daddy clip her nails... under my watchful eye.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a very fussy boy when it comes to clipping his nails as well. I clipped to far in one night and freaked out when he started to bleed, he however, didn't seem to care at all about it. I was sure he wasn't going to let me touch his nails ever again. It was tough getting started again, but i have found that if i put treats on the floor, while he is eating them I can lift up his back legs (his back nails need trimming more than his front) so the sole of his foot is face up. When his foot is like this he more than often will let me clip his nails with no hassle! On the days where he does give me a fight I have found that getting one or two nails clipped is enough, so I go in the next day or a little later and clip the some more. I have found that with my fussy boy what pays off the most is patients and a lot of treats!
Harrisonandaves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in