Large White Bumps - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Large White Bumps

I got this hedgehog from someone and he has white bumps on him. Like large zits or something. I could not find anything online that looked anything like it, including on this site. I do not know how old he is. He was not handled well and was not fed well. All he eats is cat food. That's all he was ever fed so he will not touch anything else. I try to handle him often and I do bathe him. The bumps do not seem to bother him much. The largest one is squishy and on his side near his quills. The smaller ones are hard. One by his tail and a couple on his upper back end near his quills. None actually under any quills or past the quills. I have not tried to pop them in fear of hurting him. I'll also include a picture of him.
12615542_10208364569770380_6694360301272273221_o.jpg

12631204_10208366863507722_1794755823_o.jpg

12637404_10208366877348068_1458670483_o.jpg

12633147_10208366877988084_53498821_o.jpg

12620803_10208366878508097_120021936_o.jpg

12592225_10208366977430570_2033574227314828283_n.jpg
swalker112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would get those checked out by a vet. They could just be harmless little cysts, but they might not be. If you haven't had him long it's not a bad idea to take him to the vet for a wellness check anyway.

What food is he on specifically? Depending on which food it is, it may not be bad at all. Most of us here feed high quality cat foods to our hedgies and supplement in insects (like mealworms and crickets) as well as fruits and veggies as treats.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would recommend taking your hedgehog to the vet right away. This could be the beginning of a life threatening disease.
Gldgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Vet time. They could be a skin infection of some kind, so it'd be a good idea to go get them checked out.

What kind of cat food is he getting? Good quality cat food is fine, but the protein & fat do need to be appropriate and lower quality cat foods aren't great. How long have you had him?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

The cat food is Purina brand. He eats whatever kind of cat food, but just cat food. Wont touch bugs or veggies. He was kept in a wire cage in a barn. I have him in a tank now with a heat lamp. I decided on a tank to keep the heat in. Along with a hide and some fleece. I did do some more searching on this site now that I am a member and I can see everything and I found a post that had something that looked like this. The update was that the vet said it was an oil build up and the last update was that she squeezed it and it was a zit.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have had him for about a year.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Can you give the full name of the food? Most of Purina's foods are pretty awful, some are less bad, but I'm not a fan of the brand in general.

If he's getting a good quality cat food (preferably a mix of two or more), he'll be getting what he needs and it won't hurt him if he refuses to eat anything else. It's just a good idea to offer things so they can get some fresh sources of nutrients and since bugs are a large part of their diet in the wild.

Tanks do keep heat in well, but they're not a good choice for hedgehogs. They also can have moisture build up at the bottom because they don't have good ventilation, even with no lid or a screen lid. If you want something that will hold heat well, it'd be a better idea to use a modified plastic tote - you can drill or melt holes in the sides for improved ventilation, but they still hold heat better than wire cages.

What temperature is the cage staying at, do you know? Heat lamp is great, and definitely an improvement on how he was being kept! But it's important to know the actual temperature too, and for the lamp to give off heat only, no light.

I'd still take him to the vet, just to make sure of what's going on with him. Situations can sometimes be different, even if it looks similar. And if you haven't had him at the vet yet, it's a good idea to see a vet before you have to take him in for an emergency situation. Hedgehogs should have wellness visits at least once a year, some people do twice a year because they're so small & problems can come up so quickly.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Purina complete and Purina Gentle is what he has had. Right now he has the Gentle. I just set up the tank so It's not at a "complete" temp yet. it is very good sized though and the heat lamp is only on one side.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Unfortunately that's one of the poorer lines. Purina's chow line has pretty bad ingredients, and I would really recommend switching to a higher quality brand. There's more information about food & what to look for in one here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...nutrition.html and some commonly found brands that have appropriate foods available from them here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...oods-list.html

Do you know how many gallons the tank is? It'll be okay for short-term, but I would really suggest moving him into a modified tote or another cage with better ventilation in the future. Other enclosures have the added benefit of being a lot easier to move and clean, especially totes.

For heating, you want the entire enclosure to be the same temperature - hedgehogs don't need a warm side & cool side like reptiles do, and it can cause problems. Temperature drops or too-cool temperatures can trigger hibernation attempts, which they can't come out of without help. If they don't get warmed back up (against your body or on a heating pad on low is best), they will die. Even if they get warmed back up, hibernation attempts can cause URIs, which need medication or they can die from pneumonia. There's more information on heating set ups here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...implified.html though I think the links are outdated. I need to fix that when I have a chance!
nikki and teddythehedgie like this.

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 01-24-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Tags
bumps, large, lump, white, zit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in