Hibernation!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation!!

I'm getting a bit worried about Rocky...I've done all the things I should be doing to keep the little guy warm but this morning I woke up to the second hibernation attempt in a week. The first one was totally my fault and I feel like a bad parent - the probe for the thermostat that controls his CHE fell out of the cage and the cage got very very warm very quickly and I stupidly cooled it down too quickly = hibernation attempt #1 at 5am on Monday night. He came out of it really easily once I stuck him under my shirt for a few minutes and he was running around eating shortly after. He has been fine the next couple of nights (if anything, he has been really bloody noisy and kept me awake) but this morning I found him doing it again. He was fine when I went to bed, running in his wheel and eating. The CHE is on and the temperature had been set at 74F. He gets about 14 hours of light a day at least. His cage (a ZooZone) is raised on a chest of drawers. I've turned the CHE up slightly now to 76F. He was always one of those lucky little hogs who was better when it was slightly cooler, but has the fact I messed up the temp and forced him into hibernation made him more sensitive to it now?

I've put a SnuggleSafe under his bed. I'd been doing this since hibernation attempt #1 and last night I didn't do it - so could this have triggered it? I feel like a sleepless parent right now, I can't sleep all though the night because he's either making enough noise to wake the dead, or he goes quiet and I get paranoid that he is hibernating!!

By the way - is anyone else tired of explaining to people why our little hogs cannot be allowed to hibernate?!
Victoria1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Hibernation!!

A hibernation attempt does make them more susceptible to another one within a week or two so we have to watch them really closely.

Using a snuggle safe or heating pad is great for them after a hibernation attempt and I do it myself for a few days. The problem is that the extra heat in their bed very quickly gets them used to that extra warm so when it's not there, it feels extra cool.

I would give him the snuggle safe back but if you don't already do this, put the snugglesafe under the cage rather than in it. You can stack the cage on books to make up the height difference. It will still warm the floor of the cage but not quite as warm as being right in the cage. Also after a few days, you can start to slowly wean him away from the snuggle safe by wrapping it with more layers of towel so there isn't as much warmth.

You can tape the probe to the cage or feed it in through the two halves to make sure it doesn't fall out again.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Hibernation!!

Thanks so much for your advice Nancy. I'll try weaning him off it and see how we go
Victoria1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: Hibernation!

Is the house warm enough? 73-78 degrees and warmer.
LuvHedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHedgehogs View Post
Is the house warm enough? 73-78 degrees and warmer.

Please check the dates before posting, this is a 5 year old post.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in