Diarrhea, how do I make him feel better? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Diarrhea, how do I make him feel better?

Hi guys! It's me again. My hedgehog seems pretty lively, but he's got a case of diarrhea. It's not anything major; he's not dehydrated (I've been checking), and he's eating a drinking a ton. He's very active and he's not pooping extra, but his poops are pretty soft. They're firmer than they were a couple days ago, though. They were watery, but now they're just soft. The thing is, I know why he's got it. I switched him from his old food (Purina) to his new food (Wellness), and he's been on just the Wellness for a couple days now; since the diarrhea began. I know that Wellness is holistic while Purina isn't, and his tummy needs to adjust. I just don't like seeing those soft poops.
First of all: Should I be concerned?
Second of all: How do I fix this? Should I put him back on the Purina, or will he get used to it on his own?
CloudyCandyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Diarrhea, how do I make him feel better?

Wellness has been known to cause soft poops in hedgies, even after the "getting used to new food" period. I wouldn't go back to the Purina, but if the poops don't firm up in a couple more days, I'd suggest looking at other good foods from the food list. As far as people on the forum have found, only Wellness seems to have this problem and the main theory so far is just that it's too rich for hedgie bellies. It doesn't do this to all hedgies, just some. I know I used to give Lily Wellness Indoor, and just took her off Wellness Healthy Weight (didn't like it), and never had poop problems with her from them.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Diarrhea, how do I make him feel better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Wellness has been known to cause soft poops in hedgies, even after the "getting used to new food" period. I wouldn't go back to the Purina, but if the poops don't firm up in a couple more days, I'd suggest looking at other good foods from the food list. As far as people on the forum have found, only Wellness seems to have this problem and the main theory so far is just that it's too rich for hedgie bellies. It doesn't do this to all hedgies, just some. I know I used to give Lily Wellness Indoor, and just took her off Wellness Healthy Weight (didn't like it), and never had poop problems with her from them.
Thanks for the info I wasn't aware that Wellness has that problem. Thanks for letting me know. I'll give it a coupe days and put him on something better.
Also, what's your opinion on propac? I want to keep him on something holistic, but Propac is extremely accessible to me and I might be able to get it for free even. If it's not a good choice then I do't mind spending the money on a better food, I just thought I'd ask.
CloudyCandyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in