Hibernating, please help asap:( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernating, please help asap:(

This is Holden's first hibernation attempt. I woke him up, he walked around but then he went into a super tight ball and won't come out. It has been about 15-20 mins of us trying to warm him up. He is on our laps with a heating pad but he won't come out Any advice?? I'm really scared.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hibernating, please help asap:(

Keep breathing and try to stay calm. If you want, put him under your shirt and lay under a blanket or something, that's another good way to warm him up, with no fear of burning him. It may take a bit longer to warm him up enough to come out of the ball, depending on cold he got. A pet store hedgie I found hibernating took about half an hour to get decently warmed up under my shirt. Make sure you bump up the temp for his cage a couple degrees to help prevent it happening again. It'll be okay, just hang in there! I know how scary it is, Lily's done this to me several times and I always panic still.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice He came out of it but every time I would put him back in his cage he would go into a tight ball so it took quite a while to get him back to normal. He ran on his wheel and ate last night so I think I am in the clear. When I checked him this morning he huffed at me, which I've never been so relieved to see. I've had him for over a year and that has never happened so it was pretty scary. Your post really helped so thanks for replying!

Old 10-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Glad your boy is doing better this morning...whew. I hope I never have to experience a hibernation attempt. Scarey! I am glad tho for all the information shared here because I'd know what to expect & how to deal with it at least.
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So glad he's doing better! It's hard to tell sometimes what sets them off into an attempt. Lily's pretty sensitive about them, which is why we've gone through several hibernation attempts. She's had them caused by a messed up light schedule (light not coming on), temperature drops, and I think once from a draft (at our cottage, though it could've been from the temp being down to 76 as well). And there's been at least once that I have no clue what caused it. Just make sure you keep an eye on him for the next couple days, and check his belly for coolness, especially if he looks at all wobbly or shaky while walking around. Glad I could help a bit!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Poor little guy. I'm glad he's alright. I hope he never does it again!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in