Hibernation Attempts - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation Attempts

For the past few days Bulu has, I think, been starting to attempt hibernation? A few days I woke her up and she was kind of shaking when she moved. Her tummy wasn't cold or warm, so I'm assuming she was around my body temperature.

Yesterday, I woke her up and her tummy was freezing cold. She hadn't eaten or ran much the night before. She had very slow responses and usually she'd hate being in my hand but she didn't protest much yesterday. I warmed her up slowly and she became quite active again. I cranked up her CHE more but I can't feel a noticeable difference. A few weeks ago I posted how she started to sleep behind her wheel. I stuck some fleece blankets there, but it just still doesn't seem warm enough.

This morning, I checked again and her tummy's cool again. She's very responsive, has a slight shake. I don't know if her cool tummy means she's trying to hibernate again. I've started to do a light schedule, but she still seems to do this and It's really worrying me. I don't know what else to do to make sure she doesn't try this again and again.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Her cage is off the floor, away from windows, 1.5 sides against an inner wall. She does have chloroplast walls. Should I try to insulate more?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Hibernation Attempts

What is the temperature in her cage? And in the area she is trying to sleep in? Have you checked for any drafts? If you use forced air heating, is her cage in the draft of it? I had one once where the cage was plenty warm, and I thought out of drafts. But I had moved a chair in the area and it caused the forced air heating system to push hot air over her cage. The extra heating/cooling action caused repeated hibernation attempts.

If none of those are an issue, can you insulate under the cage? If it continues you may want to look at heating a section of the cage with a heating pad. A hedgehog that has a warm cage bottom can lay with their tummy on the warmth and soak up the heat better than their quills do. I've always been a little concerned with CHEs because they heat from above. Heat rises, and it could leave the cage floor cooler than what heating the entire room, or if you use a heating pad.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Kalandra. Thanks for the help.
The thermostat above her sleeping corner says 75F, even after I cranked up the CHE. If forced air heating means the house heating system, it's not on right now cause it blows out hot air, and that might cause drafts in the house. When I stand there I don't feel any drafts but is there a way to check for any sudden drafts at night?
Right now I've shoved a heat pack outside the coroplast hoping it warms the area. I wish she would go on top of the fleece to at least warm her stomach but she insists on being over coroplast. Her old cage used to be upstairs on carpet. I know people have said floors are the coldest part of the room, but does that apply to carpet. I thought maybe it helped insulate.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

The floor area in general is generally colder because heat naturally rises. Raising the cage even a couple of feet can result in quite a change in temperature. During winter, I have always added a couple layers of blanket or old towels under my cages to help insulate the flooring because no matter what a hedgehog will at some point decide to sleep under their liners on the cold cage bottom. I use ferret nation cages now, but I still throw a couple of layers of cloth under the pan bottoms as insulation.

If your heating system is off, that kinda rules out the warm air draft idea.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am a semi-new pog momma - but I got my two pogs in the middle of winter and learned REALLY quick the "tricks" to keeping them warm. I just want to share what I have done and maybe there might be a hint here and there that you can use.

I live in Central NY - and winters are horrible here.

Both my pogs are in their own large sterlite tubs - and both tubs are setting on top of my big sewing table far off the upstairs floor. I have hardware cloth over one half of each cage
that is totally wrapped in heavy foil and a circle cut out where my CHE lamp rests on the hardware cloth. The CSW 's are at the other end of the tub. I have drill holes on all four sides of tub for air circulation. My CHE lamps are 60 watts so I have no fear of them melting the plastic etc.

In the summer I take the foil off the hardware cloth in the warmer months of the year. I find that putting the foil on the hardware cloth in the colder months increased the heat level inside (I have my thermostat set on 78) stopping the warm air inside the tub from rising and floating away without ever heating their tub.

I have a blanket under the tubs during the winter months. We keep the upstairs at about 66 degrees during the winter months. On the really horrible sub zero days when it is windy i will put a twin electric blanket under their tubs set it on 1 or 2 at night when we are all home to help them stay warm during the coldest part of the "day" (night) . It is never left on when there is no one home.

My pogs are NOT liner divers........... I bought them both a ferrett fleece igloo - filled it with with fleece blankies and that is where they pretend to liner dive!!! They are as warm as toast in there!

Everyone's home and heating system is different - just wanted to share some of the things I do to keep my pogs warm in winter . Good luck! I think keeping them at the right temp in winter is the hardest job of being a pog momma.

Kathy
They set off together down the path to return the fresh laundry to the little animals and birds in the neighbourhood. Lucie mounts the stile and turns to thank Mrs. Tiggy-winkle. "But what a very odd thing!" Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is running running running up the hill. Her cap, shawl, and print gown are nowhere to be seen. How small and brown she has grown and covered with prickles! "Why! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is nothing but a HEDGEHOG!"

Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle
KathyTNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you both very much. I'm going to try some of the tips and come up with some of my own ideas as well. I'll post any successful tips as well. It's off the Canadian tire for some insulation material.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

One thing that works really well to insulate underneath a cage is styrofoam. I don't mean the white stuff that crumbles apart like snow, but the blue or pink stuff used in house construction. That stuff always feels warm no matter how cold it is.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
One thing that works really well to insulate underneath a cage is styrofoam. I don't mean the white stuff that crumbles apart like snow, but the blue or pink stuff used in house construction. That stuff always feels warm no matter how cold it is.
I like that idea Nancy - I know just what you are talking about. Think I will get a sheet of that and put that on the entire top of my sewing table to help keep it insulated and feeling warmer.

Thanks! Kathy
They set off together down the path to return the fresh laundry to the little animals and birds in the neighbourhood. Lucie mounts the stile and turns to thank Mrs. Tiggy-winkle. "But what a very odd thing!" Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is running running running up the hill. Her cap, shawl, and print gown are nowhere to be seen. How small and brown she has grown and covered with prickles! "Why! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is nothing but a HEDGEHOG!"

Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle
KathyTNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's a great idea Nancy. I'm going to try find some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in