Hedgehog won't eat anything but her junk food. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog won't eat anything but her junk food.

Hi everyone, I know i haven't posted in a long time. I started graduate school in the last month or two and i have had no time to go online. Bella has gotten better since her last hibernation attempt/really bad uri and i just wanted to thank everyone for their support during that stressful time.

Well, every since i've gotten her i've tried sooo hard to get her to eat anything but her crappy purina cat chow mix. I've bought about 10 different types of high grade quality cat food. And every time i will try to mix in her food very slowly. (25% new each week over a course of 4 weeks). BUT the little precious just loves her "french fry" cat food i guess. What happens is the first week she'll eat the new food, but still focuses on her old food. And then it seems like each week she starts to realize i'm changing her food and then just boycotts the new food on purpose. (She's a smart little bugger. She probably knows if she starts picking out all the new food that i'll have to give her old food back). So every morning i wake up she litterally picks out every piece of old food and all the new food is left behind . I've tried supplimenting her diet with other foods rich in protein and fiber, eggs oatmeal, worms, and some fruit wet cat food etc.... But she literally smells it and walks away. She just loves her purina cat chow!! The vet says i need to get her on a better diet because it may be affecting her health since she just got sick again (read below). BUT i don't know what to do, i feel like she's not getting enough to eat because she just picks out her purina cat chow out of her 50/50 mixture (I've been trying 25% blue buffalo weight control and 25% wellness indoor health recently mixed with 50% her old food (purina catchow)). PLEASE any recommendations would help. Should i break down and give her back her old food AGAIN?!?! I feel like i've went through this 10X and no matter what i try she won't eat it. Its been so long and i need to get her off that crappy food.. *SIGH* im so exasperated! Side note:I put Booster on her purina cat chow so at least she's getting some vitamins.

As for an update with her sick ness for anyone who was reading her posts and wanted to know how it played out:

She's almost done with her quilling and she's growing up to be a nice playful little hedgehog.

Well.. bad news is last week i noticed a sneeze. Then the next day it progressed to two sneezes.. (I figured she was sneezing more because those where only the ones i witnessed). So i quickly made time in my busy schedule to get a vet appointment. Well, she's on her medication again for the URI. She's not using baytril, but another medication called chloro paltamite? I haven't heard many other people using it for URI's but it worked last time. (The vet doesn't want to perscribe baytril because she's still a baby, but im worried this medicine might not be strong enough because her sickness came back.) I just hope my little baby can get better. The vet says that her poor diet could be a cause that her immune system has never kicked back in so i'm really trying to work on it.
BellaHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehog won't eat anything but her junk food.

Since shes young and sick you don't need to try weight control really if anything I'd suggest a kitten food supplemented in with Blue Buffalo Basics like Duck and Potato or Turkey and Potato.

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is wonderful too if you can find it.

My current mix is:

Blue Buffalo Duck & Potato
Blue Buffalo Turkey and Potato
Royal Canin Kitten 36
Chicken Soup (Senior)

The Royal Canin isn't the best ingredients due to it having corn but is still widely used by some of the longest term hedgehog owners like Standing Bear and I've found with the higher quality statemented with it it balances my girls and is great for my growing boy
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

That behavior sounds EXACTLY like Sherlock. I have always referred to him as the worlds pickiest hedgehog. I struggled for SO LONG with food for him. I've had him a little over a year now and only in the last 2 months have I had success, and the difference it has made is amazing.

Obviously every hedgehog is different. But what finally tipped the scale for me was Blue Buffalo kitten food. I gave him that mixed with his old food, then slowly transitioned over to just the Blue Buffalo, and he LOVES it. And now that he's forgotten what his old food tasted like I've been able to start blending in some other healthy adult foods.

Thank you ashjac18 for my Sherlock avatar
NoDivision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go to the store to look for those tomorrow. Hopefully she'll like these brands *crosses fingers*.
BellaHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in