Blood in urine - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blood in urine

Hi all~ I am a newby to the board and don't post much, but I wanted to share the most recent occurance of our hedgie household....last night I took my girls (Harper and Chloe) out to play as we usually do. They were acting normal and running around when Harper did her normal "business" and proceeded on her merry way. I didn't notice anything wrong with her poop, but her urine contained a large amount of bright red blood. This of course sent me into a panic, I called the breeder that we got her from and got the number of an ER that would see her, but they told me that I could wait until today to take her in since she was behaving normally. I took her in first thing this morning and they believe due to her young age (12 weeks) that it is probably just a UTI and gave me some antibiotics to treat. I am hoping that is all that it is and nothing more serious. I am so thankful for this board...I was able to locate a vet that was within a 1/2 hour of my house under the "vet" listing on the board and was also able to read some similar stories of other hedgies that have had the same experience. I couldn't have had a better experience with the vet, he was very kind and took his time with us today. I was a beaming momma when we were there because Harper was so sweet and gentle to anyone who wanted to pet her and even let the vet hold her and palpate her tummy without huffing or spiking up Wish my kids would have been that good when they were little at the doctors office Anyone have any suggestions on how to give a hedgehog medicine? I tried the syringe and she won't let me anywhere near her with it.
mdesai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Blood in urine

Oh wow! That's quite the ordeal you had to go through. I'm glad the board was able to help you find a vet. I've personally never had to give a hedgie meds but I do know that the easiest way for me to do anything with my hedgies is by putting them in the bathtub so they can't ball up. Hopefully someone else will come along with more helpful info.

Good luck with your hedgie!

Food list for those interested.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Never had to deal with oral medications however mixing it into a soft food has found success others mention organic flavored syrups to mask the taste if the meds.

Someone I think said they were putting it into the cricket and then feeding it to their hedgehog.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was hiding oral antibiotics in the crickets for a while and it worked for a few days. Eventually Quinn caught on and started rejecting all bugs I was trying to feed to fer. I had to syringe feed the meds twice a day and each time it was battle.
If you want to try the crickets (hopefully your hedgie won't notice lol) I froze them first and then I would cut into the abdomen, not all the way through though. I would syringe the proper amount of meds into the hole I created. Depending on the dosage requirement and the size of the crickets will determine how many crickets you have to use. Good luck and I hope Harper gets better soon!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Izzy had to be on antibiotics for a while. She was a rescue and would ball up just by speaking to her, let alone holding her. My vet mixed some cherry flavored syrup in the meds then gave me needles with the syringes and told me to inject her waxworms and crickets with the meds. It worked great. Waxworms kind of look deflated, so they were able to hold quite a bit of medication. It only took three worms, where with crickets (I buy the small ones because they are gross!!) it took five or six to get all the meds inside. Izzy ate them right up with no problem. It depends on what your hedgie goes crazy over. If they really enjoy wet food, then I would go that route. Izzy was crazy over waxworms. Whatever treat your hedgie can't go without, I would put the meds in that. Good luck with the meds and keep us updated on how things are going.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Blood in urine *Update

Well the vet called to check on Harper today. They wanted me to bring her back in because there is still blood in her urine. After taking an x-ray, ultrasound and a urinalysis they have ruled out a UTI and believe that she has endometriosis and needs to be spayed next week She is only 13 weeks old, so I am quite shocked to say the least. We are sad to hear that she won't be able to have any babies, as she is such a sweet girl....but we want what is best for her and in the long run, her health is most important to us. Just wanted to keep everyone updated. I will let you know how her surgery goes next week. If anyone has been through something similar, I would appreciate your feedback. I could use any advice on how things will be after she comes home from her surgery. Thanks so much!
mdesai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Atleast they can fix the problem and its probably for the best if you don't breed with lineages and all it can lead to potential genetic issues in the hedgies and as always breeding can be very risky to the mother and always the issue of dealing with eaten babies or dead babies
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I had a girl that had endometriosis. She was up there in age when she started to bleed and she flew through the surgery. If possible, get it done by laser. It costs a wee bit more but the surgery time and recovery time is so much faster and with less blood loss.

They need to have their wheels removed for about a week and she will be sore at first so make sure you get pain meds for her. The first few days they don't usually want to move too far so food and water close to bed is a good idea.

If you use shavings or a loose type of bedding, it's best to put her on liners for a while so you can monitor her output as well as watch for any oozing from the incision.

Emma's was thought to be a tumour but the pathology came back as endometriosis so hopefully that is definitely what your girl has once they remove her uterus.

She will do fine with the surgery.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in