Afghan Hedgehog with leg sore caused by possible old fractur - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Afghan Hedgehog with leg sore caused by possible old fractur

Hello, I am a humanitarian aid worker in Tajikistan. I am known to be an animal lover and take good care of my animals so earlier this week I was given a hedgehog that had diarrhea. They had been feeding her milk so I stopped that immediately and fed her some watermelon and chicken-based cat food. She gets this at night along with water (which is available all day should she want it) She is eating very well and has no diarrhea. She is pooping all over her cage, even in her nest, so I clean her cage every day. She smells awful which makes me think she is young (from what I have read on the forum, young hedgehogs have smellier pee and poo). Today, I read that one can give a hedgehog a bath. I bathed her and as I was drying her I noticed she has a huge sore on her leg.

I then got on the ground and watched her walk. She appears to have broken one of her back legs at some time because she puts it down from the foot to the hock (not sure of the term for this in hedgehog conformation, but it is a hock in horses) This is why she has developed a sore on her leg.

How do I treat her sore? How do I keep this area dry and clean (I do change her bedding twice a day now, but still, she pees and poops all over and her flannel liners get damp quickly. I know I cannot keep her on wire, but I don't see how I can keep her wound dry - even with twice daily liner changes.

I don't know if there is a way to repair the leg especially here where there is no vet care, it must be an old break. She shows no pain or discomfort from it. I just washed the wound and put hydrogen peroxide on it and she did not react to it anymore than she reacts when I put her on her back and inspect her legs.

She is such a sweet creature and very personable. I want to give her the best of care possible. I would LOVE to take her to a vet, but there are no vets where I live.

Thanks for any advice you have. I will try and post photos of the wound and how she walks so you can see what I am trying to explain.

I have a limited medical kit here. I did put hydrogen peroxide on the wound and will continue to do so twice a day (unless you tell me this is bad for her from your experience). I do have some triple antibiotic ointment. Would that be o.k. to dress the wound with? I can also wrap the wound but I don't want to cause her more pain or damage, it is in a hard location to wrap (where the joint bends).

Thanks for your advice!

Sharon and Hazel (the hedgehog)
scout536 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Afghan Hedgehog with leg sore caused by possible old fractur

Here is a photo of Hazel's leg sore. I don't know how to keep it dry and clean when she constantly has it resting on her cage liner (which is often damp even though I replace it twice a day).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sore.jpg (317.5 KB, 93 views)
Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

here is a photo of how Hazel stands. You can see that she rests both of her hocks back, but the leg that does not have a sore has its hock elevated to not touch the grounds. When she walks fast, she will raise her good leg and walk like a healthy hedgehog, but the leg with the sore always remains on the ground from hock to paw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hazel.jpg (303.2 KB, 78 views)

Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

here is the best photo I could get of Hazel's bad leg in action. See how it rests on the ground from hock to paw? How on earth do you wrap a joint like that!? Is there some sort of "cap" that can be placed on her hock with some type of skin glue to give her a tough pad texture there and prevent more sores if I can get this sore healed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walk.jpg (86.0 KB, 1599 views)
Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wish I was qualified to give you advice on helping her leg, but the best I can do is wish you good luck with her. She's ADORABLE, and you're taking such good care of her. Keep us updated with how she's doing!

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

awww the poor thing. Im glad you took her in. The only advice I can give is if there is a vet near by and maybe they can think of a way to splint it or something.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe one of our members that has a good relationship with their vet would show them this thread, get their feedback, and post? Either than or emailing an actual vet might get you more qualified answers.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is some contraversy over use of peroxide on wounds (some say it also kills the good tissue with the bad) The last couple wound care courses I took (people ones) it was not recommended for use unless there was nothing else and even then to dilute it to 1/4 with water.

If that was my Hedgie I would soak the leg in a bit of salted water couple times a day, dry off well and apply original regular polysporin. I personally would not use peroxide.

There is vet-wrap (called a variety of things dependng on which make) that sticks to itself. It looks like this

I've never tried to bandage a hedgie before...but after polysporin ointment I would wrap a dry thin sterile no stick pad around the sore and put vet wrap over it (vet wrap sticks to itself )

You would have to be careful not to cut circulation off...the vet wrap is pretty stretchy tho. I would be concerned they would yank it off or try to eat it lol.
Hissy-Fit-Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy-Fit-Hazel
There is some contraversy over use of peroxide on wounds (some say it also kills the good tissue with the bad) The last couple wound care courses I took (people ones) it was not recommended for use unless there was nothing else and even then to dilute it to 1/4 with water.

If that was my Hedgie I would soak the leg in a bit of salted water couple times a day, dry off well and apply original regular polysporin. I personally would not use peroxide.

There is vet-wrap (called a variety of things dependng on which make) that sticks to itself. It looks like this

I've never tried to bandage a hedgie before...but after polysporin ointment I would wrap a dry thin sterile no stick pad around the sore and put vet wrap over it (vet wrap sticks to itself )

You would have to be careful not to cut circulation off...the vet wrap is pretty stretchy tho. I would be concerned they would yank it off or try to eat it lol.
I would do the same thing. Vet wrap is awesome stuff! Just make sure the polysporin is the one without pain reliever

Food list for those interested.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks everyone, I will switch to salt water. I DO know vet wrap! Used many a roll of it in my horsecare days! I think I have a roll of it somewhere that I brought because it is indeed useful stuff. I am concerned about cutting off circulation though.

Another thing a vet tech friend in the States told me that might be useful that they did for small animals was to take the tiniest baby sock one can find slip it over the wound dressing, tape it so that it will hold the sock on but not so tight that it will harm circulation, then fold over the remaining sock bit to hide the tape.

Main thing is if I can keep it dry! I will change her paper every chance I can get. I am removing the watermelon from her diet. She loves it, but it is causing so much excess urine that her paper is often soaked when I get up in the morning (and she is in a large cage).

Also, I am going to ask a vet friend in the States if there is anything that can be painted on a clean wound to create a tough surface that protects the skin. We have something similar for humans called "New Skin". I have some here that I brought from America, but I want to make sure it is safe for hedgehogs. That way hopefully, I can prevent any further sores as it seems she will walk like this for the rest of her life.

thanks for your help, I hope to report a healthy hedgehog soon!

Sharon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in