So... Coco had a fall. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to carlyvoelcker
Default So... Coco had a fall.

Around March I was new to being a hedgehog owner when I first brought home my cute ball of sunshine, Coco. He's been a blessing and a bunch to me and my little family and he's like my baby. I haven't posted anything in a long time but still read on here regularly. So, anyways.

Last night I went out for three hours for a late dinner and forgot to shut the door that Coco and his home are in... My curious kitten must have jumped up on the cage and pulled in down and down came Coco. Poor thing experienced his first and hopefully last earthquake... But, he was upset. More mad than I've ever seen him. Please note the fact that I have no idea when it occurred since there was a 3 hour time frame where I was not home. But when I came home and saw his cage on it's side on the floor I about had a pannick attack. He seemed fine and all but I checked his body anyways and had him out for extra time last night.

This morning when I woke up I checked on him and he was asleep of course. He ate the average amount of food that he always does and definitely ran on his wheel last night. I got him out and noticed that he was pooping but having trouble. It was also a lot darker than usual.

I can't say it's tarry but it's harder, so I am not sure what tarry means. But it's dark. Darker than his usual poo. I just need advice. I'm at a loss for words.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: So... Coco had a fall.

Sounds like a vet visit. It may just be from stress, but the fact that he is having difficulty pooping is a concern. Tarry is sticky, gooey, think of tar. If you rub the poop in a tissue, what colour is it?

If his poop and difficulty persists tonight, then I think he needs to see the vet.

With another pet in the house, it's always a good idea to attach the cage to whatever it is sitting on. Bungy cords work great for temporarily attaching.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vet visit there may be internal bleeding darker poo is a potential sign of bleeding on the inside and its best to see a vet for an examination.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to carlyvoelcker

Thanks Nancy, I am going to take him to the vet tonight when I don't have to go by myself. Where I live, it's a bit of a drive to see his vet.

His poo is hard. But... don't mean to sound gross or give TMI but it's stuck in his bum, and that's my main concern. It's a dark dark dark brown, darker than it's ever been before. So maybe it is stress? I'm still definitely taking him tonight. In the meantime just giving him extra lovin'
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'm glad your getting him to the vet tonight. Stuck in his bum is not good. It still may be nothing but certainly best to get him checked out. Sending prayers for him.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh, poor Coco! I have cats too and I use bungy cords to attach Izzy's cage to the dresser. I squirt them with the water bottle every time I see them lurking around the cage. You know....curiosity and all. It's definitely going to kill the cat!!

Any ways, just wanted to add that you should take a poop sample with you too. You never know if the vet is going to want to look at it. Poor li'l guy. Hope he's feeling better.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy
Oh, poor Coco! I have cats too and I use bungy cords to attach Izzy's cage to the dresser. I squirt them with the water bottle every time I see them lurking around the cage. You know....curiosity and all. It's definitely going to kill the cat!!

Any ways, just wanted to add that you should take a poop sample with you too. You never know if the vet is going to want to look at it. Poor li'l guy. Hope he's feeling better.
Just a safety concern on bungie cord and I think Nancy mentioned temporary, make sure they are as temporary as possible working as a head of safety and compliance and working about OSHA reviews Bungie Cord can cause so pretty horrible human injuries if they snap or when you remove them they whiplash and I won't get into the details.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
Quote:

Just a safety concern on bungie cord and I think Nancy mentioned temporary, make sure they are as temporary as possible working as a head of safety and compliance and working about OSHA reviews Bungie Cord can cause so pretty horrible human injuries if they snap or when you remove them they whiplash and I won't get into the details.

OH, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. What should I use to secure the cage so the cat can't knock it down?

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

ohh, keep us posted about Coco!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
Quote:

OH, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. What should I use to secure the cage so the cat can't knock it down?
Standard Rope with a hook on the end, zip times, depending on the cage you could do a lot by visiting your hardware store. I bet if you took a picture and went in saying you want to secure it in a way safe for your animal they'd give you a few ideas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in