Not sure what's wrong! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not sure what's wrong!

I took Quilly to the vet about 2 months ago because he had bad flaky skin and was losing tons of quills at a time. He also has a soft yellow crusty gunk behind his ears. The vet tested him for mites but that test came back negative. So the vet gave him some antibiotics. Those didn't work, so I brought him back again because he was still losing quills and his skin was still flaky. I was informed that he had a minor skin condition and was given more antibiotics to give to him twice a day for about 10 days.

It helped for a few weeks, and he stopped losing quills and his skin returned to normal. However, he recently just started losing a bunch of quills again and his skin is starting to get a bit flaky but nothing in excess yet. He's losing about 20 or so quills a day (that's how it was before the medicine a few months ago too). His quills are growing in again in spots, but not nearly as fast as he seems to be losing them.

What could it be? I have a picture but it may or may not be of use to anyone to tell what is wrong.

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Not sure what's wrong!

Skin scrapes are often wrong because if there don't happen to be any mites or droppings where they scrape, it will come up negative.

Since he is having mite related symptoms, it's best to treat him with Revolution anyways so then you can completely rule mites out.

It may be a bacterial or fungal infection and the antibiotics being given are not appropriate for the type he has. Are you using any type of moisturizer on him and if so what? If oil based it will make a bacterial or fungal infection worse.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Not sure what's wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Skin scrapes are often wrong because if there don't happen to be any mites or droppings where they scrape, it will come up negative.

Since he is having mite related symptoms, it's best to treat him with Revolution anyways so then you can completely rule mites out.

It may be a bacterial or fungal infection and the antibiotics being given are not appropriate for the type he has. Are you using any type of moisturizer on him and if so what? If oil based it will make a bacterial or fungal infection worse.

So once I take him back to the vet, how do I go about telling the vet that it may be appropriate to use Revolution? I know lots of vets would be set in stone once they say "there are no mites", so how would I convince him to give that medicine a try? I feel as though he wouldn't easily be persuaded.

When I bathe him I tend to use olive oil when he has flaky skin. Should I stop using that? What would be the best to wash Quilly with instead? And would it be better to have the vet give me a different antibiotic or just try and convince him to give me Revolution right off the bat? Ahhh so many questions, sorry guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in