Sick baby? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sick baby?

I just got my 7 week old female hedgehog yesterday afternoon. She was extremely active last night and used her wheel for what seemed like the entire night. She ate her small handful of food that was the same as what the breeder was feeding her although she didn't drink any. Tonight I found her laying in her wheel with her head laying down but her eyes were open and she appeared to be breathing heavily. I got her out to make sure she was ok and she puffed up but then uncurled and didn't get up. I offered her water and she drank a little bit. I also noticed that she has been sneezing today and hasn't pooped or peed at all. Should I take her to a vet? I'm just concerned because she was so extremely active last night and now she is very lethargic and breathing heavily.

[/url]
for the <3 of quills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sick baby?

I would take the little baby to the vet. If she's not drinking, eating or peeing, is lethargic and breathing heavily, then she should be checked out. My rule of thumb is that if those symptoms were in a person I would take them in, so I would take my hedgie in. Try to get her to drink some more water if you can. Do you have a clean eyedropper or a clean syringe? You can try giving her water that way too but very slowly so she doesn't choke. Hope your baby feels better. HUGS!!

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, I will do that. I found an exotics vet that treats hedgehogs near where I live so I will make an appointment to see them tomorrow. This is my first hedgehog so I'm new to this and want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Her behavior change was so sudden it surprised me. She did eat today but none of it came out the other end.

[/url]

Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, poor baby. Is she able to drink anymore? Give her cuddles and love from me, Harvey and Izzy. Praying for you both. HUGS.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

What kind of laying down? Laying on her side or stretched out? Or on all fours with her "visor" lowered a bit? The last is normal, the other two are not.

Remember that they're nocturnal, so she won't be getting up (usually) to poop or pee during the day. Usually they will poop and pee on the wheel during the night. You'll wake up and find it covered (and sometimes the walls nearby spattered with it).

Sometimes young hedgies will get up to eat during the day, but if she was running all night, she will sleep all day.

About the sneezing, she's settling in to a new environment and there may be things she's sensitive to.

I do agree that the vet visit is a good idea...just don't want you to panic too much in the meantime. If she's never had her own wheel before, then a lot of times when they get the wheel, they're so crazy about it that they use it nonstop to the point of even getting sores on their feet.
Judi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just for the future... when you bring in any pet into your home, make sure to take them to a vet ASAP (without stressing them out too much).

That doesn't sound like normal behavior, so I would take your baby to the vet!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Also...

What is the cage temp? ( hedgehogs need warmth, generally, most keep at around 75F, as they can go into hibernation and lack the ability to revive from it)

What is the light schedule? (mind you, this wouldn't play much into what has happened since you just got her, but for future reference, they need 12-14 hours of "light". most here just set a small desk lamp on a timer, mine's on from 8am-9pm)

Have you tried taking a warm towel and massaging her belly to try to stimulate her to poop or pee?

Either way, another vote for the vet.

Depending on when you get the appointment, be sure to have syringes and eyedroppers handy as she can't go for too many days without eating and drinking. For food, you can either pick up Hills A/D from the vet, or just crush up her current kibble and soak in hot water until fully soft and easily syringeable. It would be wise to turn up the heat in her cage as well, perhaps even putting a human heat pad under the cage.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

She's seems to be feeling much better now. I'm still going to take her to the vet though. She did poop last night on her wheel and it was dark green and mucousy looking. I know that the green poop is a sign of stress.

[/url]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in