Worms in water? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2015, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to THEROFLBOAT
Unhappy Worms in water?

So before I begin I usually change out Obie's water at least every 2 days to prevent mold and stuff from growing in it, that and sometimes her food will fall in there sometimes etc.

Well this week I was preoccupied with school and I got a little irresponsible with not changing the water out, (I have a water bottle used exclusively for filling the bowl). Today I changed the water after about 5 days of leaving it there and I saw little maggots in the water. I cleaned the living heck out of it and now I'm worried. I'm planning on taking her to the vet ASAP (which is convenient cause it was about that time of year for a check up anyway) but I want to know from you guys how urgent this problem is.

I found out about this tonight and from what I can see Obie is perfectly fine, no oddities, but I know she can get sick soon if I dont do something.

BTW she is a little over 2 years old, and other than dry skin (which i use flaxseed oil for from time to time) she has not had any health issues really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11898844_1529725353942824_1434672232589328137_n.jpg (58.2 KB, 14 views)
THEROFLBOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, it's good that you are taking her to the vet as soon as possible. It's also good she's not showing signs of problems, but they are very good at hiding illness so it's very difficult to tell.

In the future you need to be sure to change her water every single day. Any animal should have access to fresh clean water at all times. Besides, if you make it a daily habit, you won't have to worry about forgetting to do it. I would just make it part of the routine: take out Obie for bonding, change food and water before putting her away. Or do it when cleaning her wheel. Doesn't really matter when, so long as it's done daily.
nikki and writergirlmel like this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
health, vet, worms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in