New hedgie.. Dry skin & sneezing? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgie.. Dry skin & sneezing?

I brought Walter home last night & I have noticed that he would sneeze when he drinks. On the way home, I gave him some water (We were in the car for a few hours ) and whenever he would go up to the bottle (or the dish when we got home.. he started drinking out of the dish as soon as I gave it to him ) he would sneeze. (I saw Nancy's thread about sneezing but I don't think its that serious and really want you guys to tell me that its nothing :P )

Also, he was itching a lot, he would take his back feet and scratch his quills and right under his quills on the side so I'm thinking he might have dry skin? (I tried finding a thread on this but most of them also had hedgie's that had quills falling out) The breeder had him in bedding (I'm not sure what kind) but now I have him on a fleece blanket.) Im considering putting a flaxseed capsule on him when I get home or giving him a bath?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie.. Dry skin & sneezing?

I just went home on my lunch hour to check on him and everything looked fine except when I looked in his hideaway I saw a little bit of diarrhea. Could that just be from stress? He was on his wheel last night and there was poop on it but it looked like that poop was fine, it just looked like he ran over it but didnt look like it was abnormal or watery..
Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Since you just bought Walter home, I would say the runny poop is just from the stress of moving and adjusting to his new environment. Pretty normal hedgie behavior for coming into a new home! It should clear up in a few days. If it lasts for longer than that, you might want to look into his food or water. Are you feeding him the same food the breeder was? If not, did the breeder give you some to take with you so you can slowly introduce the food you will be feeding him? Also, sometimes the differences in tap water in different places can cause an upset tummy. Since you were in the car for so long, you obviously drove pretty far from home. There could be a big difference in the water districts. I give Lulu bottled water (Poland Spring) so maybe try that.

When it comes to the scratching, hopefully somebody else will come along soon and provide some input. I don't know too much about what's a normal amount or an abnormal amount of scratching. But Lulu is quilling right now, and when I got her I thought her skin was unusually dry. So I recently put some flax seed oil on her and it really made a HUGE difference so maybe try that? I would still wait for a more experienced person's input tho!

Other than that, a big welcome to Walter!! I hope you will be posting some pictures soon! Pleasee he's such a cutiee!!

mizgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

The breeder gave me a bag of the food that he was using and is supposed to last for four months. other than that, he didn't eat anything else. And on the way home, I have him some filtered water then when we got home I gave him tap water which is from a well. I actually emailed the breeder because no one got back to me until now so hopefully i'll get lots of advice. Thanks for the input though, you're helping reassure me that I haven't done anything wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in