Pet store rescue! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Pet store rescue!

Hey guys and gals...

So the bf and I went to the pet store that I was going to order my hedgie from just to check and see if they had a flying saucer wheel (which they didn't) and found out that they had a hedgie in stock. I wasn't planning on getting one until next week, but one look and I was sold. They were keeping "it" (more on this later) in a tiny little glass cage with wood shavings, a dirty bowl, and a wooden hut house. They didn't know what sex it was, and they said that a wheel "wasn't super important" because they would keep hedgies for "up to six months without one." The bf practically dragged me into getting the hedgie RIGHT THAT SECOND because of all of my research and everything, and because he knows that I really wanted one and that I would take a bazillion times better care than the pet store would.

So I picked my lil bundle of awesomeness up, plus some canned crickets, live mealies, and wax worms (we have 2 Chinese Water Dragons that love wax worms), and a bag of *please don't shoot me* hedgie food, only because that's what they had been feeding and I didn't want to mess up hedgie's digestion right away.

On the way home my little buddy happily ate 3-4 of the crickets and had some rather vigorous poops I got home and was able to get hedgie to snuggle with me and explore the cage without many problems, just a lot of huffing and popping at first. I took a look at the belly, and was 90% convinced I had a boy, which made me super happy, since I wanted a little dude, and I had already bought tons of boy-themed fleece (skateboards, sharks, robots, etc.) After finding a comparison picture online, I realized that Dexter is actually a she, so Dexy is a little bit of a tomboy haha.

I don't have a ton of worries as of now. She eats her crickets and worms, ate some of her kibble last night, and has readily explored her cage. She also lets me handle her in a fleece (with lots of huffing at first), and she's already taken to exploring my hands and everywhere else. However, she is dropping quills. Several at a time, actually, accompanied by dry skin. I've looked her over while she was balled-up, and she's not red or infected-looking, so could it just be stress/quilling? I have no idea how old she is, but she's kinda small-ish, so I'm thinking probably under a year? Should I try and give an oatmeal bath later this week? I think it would relieve her dry skin (she scratches every now and then, but those spots aren't red or anything). The lost quills have the root-thing in them and aren't just broken off, so that's a good sign, right?

Also, I plan on picking up some better food here in a week or so, my bf is picking up coroplast to finish her cage today, and her CBSW was ordered yesterday... *Sigh* I love doing things unplanned.

Sorry for the long post, but I am a little concerned and super excited to have my girl home! She's wandering my lap on the couch as we speak, making the dog and cat EXTREMELY curious haha. I'll put up some pics soon. Thanks in advance for the support!

I miss having a home zoo
jennaisrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pet store rescue!

Congratulations my second hedgie was rescued from a similar situation but she is very a loner at heart so far.

The first thing is to get your hedgehog to am experienced vet which if you've been doing your research I am hoping you already have. Since the hedgehog was on wood shavings I would presume that there's a good chance for mites, if you did not see new quills poking through the skin then this is the best place to start and getting revolution from your vet is the best idea as its not dangerous to hedgies even if they don't have mites. The vet will want to look your hedgie over and get a poop test done. A skin scrap isn't really the most recommended thing because it can come back negative if mites are not in that area of the skin at that time, they should look her over with a magnifying glass on a darker surface or darker fleece or something if possible for mites.

Sounds like you've got a lot in hand on the handling and you've done your research so I won't throw down anything, welcome to HHC and if you do have any questions please feel free to post and ask or explore the forum so many are already answered.

On a side note I have two girls and I am glad I am not a fan of running into a male hedgehogs desire to constantly masturbate XD
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wasn't aware of the male hedgie tendency to... erm... pleasure himself so I am kinda glad for a girl now. That would have been quite the sight

Max (my lab-chow) tried to lick Dexy earlier and it freaked him out, kinda funny. (I was holding her in her blankie.) I think my big goofy dog is actually scared of the little hedgie! :P

I haven't taken her to a vet yet since I just picked her up yesterday. I'm really hoping it isn't mites, and I honestly don't think it is because she doesn't have the symptoms (I've also been checking her fleece and no mites that I can see, just dry skin), but I will take her in as soon as I can. The cat needs his yearly shots soon anyways and the dog needs neutered so it will be a family trip I might try an oatmeal bath in a day or two just to see if it helps with the dry skin, even her poor little ears are dry, but not ragged or torn.

I feel much better knowing that Dexy is in a good home now. That sad little excuse for an enclosure nearly broke my heart I wanted to say a few things, but my bf held me back (I have a tendency to get a little mouthy ). I just wish that they wouldn't have done so many things wrong! Now I have to fix them one at a time... But at least they handled her at the pet store, I would have been a sad panda if she didn't want to be held at all. My boyfriend is still quite wary of holding her since she poked me a few times yesterday, but I think he'll warm up to her. Maybe I'll have him try and hand-feed some mealies later.

I miss having a home zoo
jennaisrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaisrad
I wasn't aware of the male hedgie tendency to... erm... pleasure himself so I am kinda glad for a girl now. That would have been quite the sight

Max (my lab-chow) tried to lick Dexy earlier and it freaked him out, kinda funny. (I was holding her in her blankie.) I think my big goofy dog is actually scared of the little hedgie! :P

I haven't taken her to a vet yet since I just picked her up yesterday. I'm really hoping it isn't mites, and I honestly don't think it is because she doesn't have the symptoms (I've also been checking her fleece and no mites that I can see, just dry skin), but I will take her in as soon as I can. The cat needs his yearly shots soon anyways and the dog needs neutered so it will be a family trip I might try an oatmeal bath in a day or two just to see if it helps with the dry skin, even her poor little ears are dry, but not ragged or torn.

I feel much better knowing that Dexy is in a good home now. That sad little excuse for an enclosure nearly broke my heart I wanted to say a few things, but my bf held me back (I have a tendency to get a little mouthy ). I just wish that they wouldn't have done so many things wrong! Now I have to fix them one at a time... But at least they handled her at the pet store, I would have been a sad panda if she didn't want to be held at all. My boyfriend is still quite wary of holding her since she poked me a few times yesterday, but I think he'll warm up to her. Maybe I'll have him try and hand-feed some mealies later.
Haha some boys are private about it and others will show off their man hood and do it in front of you sometimes even if you have them on their back. The basically just hump the ground and take care of it, it is a sight to see.

mites are very very small and white and the bulbs being on the quills is a good sign, but if your are not seeing new quills grow in and their is consistent quill loss it is best to be ready that its something not all signs show with mites either. The bulbs can still be on quills and mites be present, if its not mites and there's quill loss it could be fungal and that could cause a problem if you try to help Dexter's dry skin with any vitamin e oil or flax seed oil as that will block the pores.

The vet is just to check her out really and get those out of the way, if you've been researching you know a hedgehog can hide illness so very well

I hope it isn't anything at all and just a few stress quill losses, but I've learned quick with my girls better safe then sorry and trust me all my checks thankfully have been false alarms

Congratulations on giving her a forever home and I am sure you'll find the time with her so very enriching and exciting
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Congratulations on Dexy!! Can't wait to see pictures & hear stories!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in