Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sick baby? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11312)

YoYofranko 07-29-2011 09:52 AM

Sick baby?

Hi peeps, the other day we found a young hedgehog wondering around during the day, in past experience its never been a good sign to see one in daylight. Anyhow we took her home and other then a few ticks and some fly eggs around her eyes, she was still eating and drinking and seemed to be walking ok. We took her to the vets yesterday, she had a antibiotic jab and we're just waiting for some medication for lungworm. Today she seems to be worse, not eating as much and when i just checked on her, she was walking around sort of swaying and wobbling from side to side. What could this be? i'm no expert on hedgehogs. Do you think theres any hope for this little girl? we really want her to make it. :cry:

rivoli256 07-29-2011 10:27 AM

Re: Sick baby?

hmmm...could the antibiotic have made her sick (even the injectibles can make them feel icky) & given her condition, she become quickly dehydrated? that could account for the wobbly walk.

have you tried syringe feeding & hydrating her? sounds like it is a necessity at this point. i don't know where you are located but most pharmacies have 5 or 10 ml syringes for free or extremely cheap. there is a ton of good info here on what to use & how to do it...including an actual "how to" thread by Hedgehog Grove.

getting some nutrition into her could make a difference.

you may need to take her back to the vet no matter what. depening on your comfort level with hedgies in general & especially sick hedgies, i would strongly consider taking her back. vets can do a sub-Q injection of fluids to rehydrate her quickly. the vet may also need to do a more detailed exam or check for something else given the new symptoms.

please keep us posted on her progress. sending tons of good vibes your way.

Lilysmommy 07-29-2011 11:48 AM

49 Attachment(s)
It sounds like you're talking about a wild European hedgehog? If that's the case, your best bet may be to look around for a hedgehog rescue near you and take her to them.

If you do want to keep her and try to care for her yourself...Listen to Rivoli. :lol: I don't have much experience myself with sick hedgies. Good luck with her and keep us updated! Will definitely be keeping her in my thoughts. :)

shortnerdy 07-29-2011 09:22 PM

Poor little baby :( Keep us posted

YoYofranko 07-30-2011 09:38 AM

Thanks everyone for your posts!! Unfortunately she died in the night :cry: She became really cold, so she had her own little hot water bottle. We gave her some fluids last night but she'd almost given up by then. Very sad really :(

MissC 07-30-2011 09:51 AM

I am so sorry. :( You did everything you could and you helped make her feel wanted and loved and comfortable in her last hours.