Sorry, another Overweight Question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sorry, another Overweight Question

Sorry to ask as i know there are loads of posts already on this but im running out of options and Henry doesn't seem to want to play ball!

Ok, hes 600kg but quite big built. He can still ball up but is definitely overweight. He did reach 620kg but we've managed to keep that 0.20 off for a while now. He put on the weight when he got ill end of last year, but has now been healthy for while (touch wood).

He refuses point blank to eat veggies. I've tried putting them in his kibble (eats round them) Baby food with & without meat in & veggies on their own. No! If it wasn't once alive he won't touch it.

On the lowest fat good quality food i can get here in england. James wellbeloved light & Purina Natural one. He won't touch Hills.

He is only getting one treat a night eg. 1 cricket or 1 mealworm or small amount of chicken etc.

He does use his wheel and runs around, in cage and out, but only when he can be bothered. Some nights are better than others. Some nights i don't think he does anything.

Hates swimming. Should i just make him? Don't want to stress him out too much.

Any more suggestions at all will be gratefully received.

Sorry again if repeating anything i couldn't find.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sorry, another Overweight Question

Sorry on my cell so short:

- you said you tried veggies but how about fruit?

- don't force him to swim! It's not natural for hedgies to swim for fun and if he doesn't like it he will likely be terrified.

There are a lot of HHC folks slimming down their hedgies. They will be along to help you out.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree with the no forcing swimming, since it could be so stressful for him. I would keep trying with the veggies, and just try everything you could think of. Baby food, the real thing (steamed and chopped up to appropriate size), the real thing that's blended, maybe, with/without meat. If he really likes crickets or mealworms, maybe try dipping them in the baby food so just a little is on them and offer them, see if he discovers he does like the taste. Like MissC said, try fruits too.

A really good way that I've found (inspired by MissC) to get Lily moving is to freeze her crickets and hide them around her cage. She spends much more time exploring around her cage than before I started doing that. If he likes digging, a dig box of small aquarium stones or fleece strips might inspire him to more activity too.

You might also consider making the meatballs that are starting to catch on among people on here...You can sneak veggies into those, grated up or blended, and the plain meat (like chicken or turkey or venison) would help fill him up and be nice and healthy.

That's all I can think of for now, but if I come up with anything else, I'll post!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
If he really likes crickets or mealworms, maybe try dipping them in the baby food so just a little is on them and offer them, see if he discovers he does like the taste. Like MissC said, try fruits too.
I second this ^^, or something very similar. I gave my Westley a piece of honeydew, he wouldn't touch it. I then smashed it up, got the liquid-y mush and gave him a bit via an eyedropper, then tried another hedgie-sized piece and he ate it right up. So random ways to get them to eat something sometimes work.
Ava99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

And you have to try over and over and over...then try again months later.

Sumo wouldn't touch watermelon after a dozen attempts, then one day: BAM! Loved it...nothing had changed... Now! When I put that plate down I have to stand back cuz he's up out of his corner, after being dead asleep, and flies into his dish and noms down all of the watermelon on his plate in one long inhale. He NEVER moves that fast for any other reason...he doesn't run on his wheel so much as stroll. So...keep trying and trying and trying...
Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all the tips.

Ill have a look at the meatballs recipe but im a vegetarian so don't have meat in my house. Henry gets his chicken/meat from very good quality cat food or my parents house. Might see if my mum wants to help out her grandson

I've tried sprinkling dried mealworms (he doesn't get these very often but loves them) onto baby food but he still won't touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava99
If he really likes crickets or mealworms, maybe try dipping them in the baby food so just a little is on them and offer them, see if he discovers he does like the taste. Like MissC said, try fruits too.
Ill try this though, thank you!

I already hide his treats round his cage and change his cage round to stop boredom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
And you have to try over and over and over...then try again months later.
Ill just keep doing this then! I will not let my little fatty win. He will eat some form of healthy veg & he will lose weight! I will win!!

Thanks again everyone. x
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Tell your mom the meatballs would be really good in a hearty chicken soup! She can keep half and feed her grandson, too. They are seriously tasty enough to eat! (Just save the spices for the soup...not in the meatballs). It's a win-win!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in