I've tried everything. She won't eat her meds! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I've tried everything. She won't eat her meds!

Hi, sorry for posting so many questions but i am lost at what to do. Bella was given oral antibiotics for a possible URI yesterday and she hates it!! The first dose yesterday she ate it all up quickly. I'm guessing it didn't sit well with her because she will do anything to get away from it. I tried 3 types of wed cat food, baby food and mixing it in with her kibble and syringe feeding.

Her first dose was yesterday at 5 o clock. She's suppose to have a dose 2 times a day. I've been trying all morning and all she wants to do is sleep. I feel bad for stressing out a baby already sick hedge hog. But should I wake her up and force the medicine down her throat, or wait and hope she will eat her spiked kibble? I don't want her to get any sicker

Any suggestions? on syringe feeding. I've tried swattling her in a cloth and shooting it in on the side but she refuses to open her mouth.

I've wasted so much medicine ... any suggestions will help
BellaHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: I've tried everything. She won't eat her meds!

Moving this to the health section, hopefully you'll get a response here since it's more health related.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I feel sort of silly for asking this. But is there a way to physically move this post the the heath forum. Or would i have to make a new post in the health forum?

Also, false alarm. great success!! I think i found something that finally works. She finally ate her meds I just surprised her when she was sleeping and tilted her to her side and pushed the medicine into the corner of her mouth. She had no time to run away.

FINALLY

I feel so relieved, she can rest now.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm glad you figured it out.

One thing a smart pharmacist told me, which works on all kind of animals (and toddlers lol) is to blow in their nose while you're squirting the medicine into their mouth. Then they can't spit it out, it makes them swallow.
Judi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaHog
Also, false alarm. great success!! I think i found something that finally works.
Well now you've gone and jinxed it! Glad that you found something that works; hedgies do adapt though, so be prepared with other techniques. With great luck, you won't have to use them.
Aside from that, one thing I did want to mention is: if at all possible, see if you can get some food in too. Some of those antibiotics are pretty harsh on a hedgie tummy... especially an empty hedgie tummy.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Despite my attempts to mask her antibiotics with food, Gracidea still wouldn't touch them either. So I decided to give it one last try at administering them directly. I've managed to successfully do it 3 times now. She seems to be getting the hang of it too.

Your post helped me, especially when you said the corner of the mouth. That really worked for me! She shakes her head right away and some drops of it get on my pants but she swallows most of it. I try to give her a cricket afterwards but she's more interested in going back to sleep. I think she's happier now too because I've given her fresh food which is not tainted with the meds.

This whole process has been a learning experience for me. Without the advice I received in my thread, and reading THIS thread, I never would have found out that my Gracie likes crickets! She also ate some wet cat food the first night a left a bit in her cage but she hasn't touched the new stuff I put in last night. I feel privileged to expand on her diet. And I enjoy seeing her cyst-area heal more and more each day when I go to clean it.

Gracidea
Snewtalicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Glad this post helped. Thankfully, bella hasn't figured out a way to squirm away from my surprise treatments. I know its mean to wake her up mid sleep, but the only way she'll let me give herm medicine is when she first wakes up and is a little groggy. I let her go right back to sleep though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in