Nails already short with no clipping? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nails already short with no clipping?

When I took Oscar to the vet last Thursday, I asked the vet if he could cut his nails and after he examined Oscar he said that with the exception of two nails on one of his back feet, Oscar's nails were really short, basically to the quick. He said if he would cut Oscar's nails they'd bleed everywhere and of course, we didn't want that. He then asked me if I allowed Oscar to dig or had a dig box and I know that's not the reason his nails are so short because I don't have a dig box.

I brought Oscar home on May 21st of this year and haven't clipped his nails the entire time he's been with me. I've attempted to do so, but he hates holding still haha So that's when I decided I'd have the vet do it, only to find out his nails didn't need to be clipped? :0

The only things that are always left in his cage are his igloo, fleece scraps/liners, food/water bowls, litter pan, PVC pipe, a little cat ball with a bell in it and CSW. I have a Ferret Nation 142 if that matters.

So the only explanation I can think of is maybe he runs so much his nails get worn down?
Any other ideas?
Kenzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Nails already short with no clipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzy
When I took Oscar to the vet last Thursday, I asked the vet if he could cut his nails and after he examined Oscar he said that with the exception of two nails on one of his back feet, Oscar's nails were really short, basically to the quick. He said if he would cut Oscar's nails they'd bleed everywhere and of course, we didn't want that. He then asked me if I allowed Oscar to dig or had a dig box and I know that's not the reason his nails are so short because I don't have a dig box.

I brought Oscar home on May 21st of this year and haven't clipped his nails the entire time he's been with me. I've attempted to do so, but he hates holding still haha So that's when I decided I'd have the vet do it, only to find out his nails didn't need to be clipped? :0

The only things that are always left in his cage are his igloo, fleece scraps/liners, food/water bowls, litter pan, PVC pipe, a little cat ball with a bell in it and CSW. I have a Ferret Nation 142 if that matters.

So the only explanation I can think of is maybe he runs so much his nails get worn down?
Any other ideas?
Hedgehog's don't run on their nails so that's unlikely, however my one girl Celeste is a huge self groomer on her belly, fur and I've seen her cleaning her feet (I give her foot baths everyday just cause I think its gross she licks poopy feet lol) I suppose cause I have seen a kind of gnaw from her that they can somewhat groom their nails to an extent. Although I've clipped Celes and only had her for a bit over a week (She is a rescue from a pet shop life), so I cannot really be sure.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

maybe he's a nail biter

Old 07-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda
maybe he's a nail biter
That would certainly save me the daunting task of trying to clip his nails haha
Kenzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in