oops! my hedgehog is getting fat - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default oops! my hedgehog is getting fat

Yeah, so I've been feeding her treats everyday (beetles, crickets, meals worms, super worms (heads crushed)) and she looks noticeably bigger. So starting yesterday, I stopped giving her meal worms and I am just going to give her crickets and roaches. Any other tips to help her lose weight? Healthy treats?
elise5211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: oops! my hedgehog is getting fat

Offering fresh veggies or veggie baby food can help fill their tummies up a bit and help them eat less kibble. Lily's lost weight since I started giving her a mix of baby food every day. If you find she won't try any plain veggies or veggie baby foods, you can try mixing them with a bit of meat baby food. Lily will try a lot more different veggie foods when they're mixed in with chicken or turkey baby food.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

What kind of cat food is your hedgehog eating? That should be her primary diet and should be the majority of what she eats. Does she have a wheel and use it? If not you'll need to find a way to get her moving, swimming has been done for obese hedgehogs in the past but monitor them closely of course. I would recommend severe cutbacks on treats except where deserved and earned and look for a lower fat content cat food that the hedgehog will take to. The most important thing is your hedgehog gets good healthy food and a good dose of exercise

Remember our hedgehogs like any other pet depends on us to take care of them and we owe it to them to keep them in balance with their natural size.

Although some hedgehogs can naturally be bigger, can yours still form a ball? Are there signs of fat on the legs?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Offering fresh veggies or veggie baby food can help fill their tummies up a bit and help them eat less kibble. Lily's lost weight since I started giving her a mix of baby food every day. If you find she won't try any plain veggies or veggie baby foods, you can try mixing them with a bit of meat baby food. Lily will try a lot more different veggie foods when they're mixed in with chicken or turkey baby food.

Sounds like a plan. I'll try blending veggies and mixing it with cat food and meat baby food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCOGAR
What kind of cat food is your hedgehog eating? That should be her primary diet and should be the majority of what she eats. Does she have a wheel and use it? If not you'll need to find a way to get her moving, swimming has been done for obese hedgehogs in the past but monitor them closely of course. I would recommend severe cutbacks on treats except where deserved and earned and look for a lower fat content cat food that the hedgehog will take to. The most important thing is your hedgehog gets good healthy food and a good dose of exercise

Remember our hedgehogs like any other pet depends on us to take care of them and we owe it to them to keep them in balance with their natural size.

Although some hedgehogs can naturally be bigger, can yours still form a ball? Are there signs of fat on the legs?
She has a good mix of 2 high quality cat food and one junk cat food which she loves. I think I'll cut back on that as well. She runs in her wheel, but not enough to make up for all the food I've been feeding here. I don't think she's obese enough to warrant swimming, especially since she hates water so much. I won't put her through that just yet.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good luck and let us know of your hedgehogs progress! Do you weigh her everyday?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I weighed her a month ago, so I'll go ahead and weigh her today to see how much she's gained. I'm kinda afraid to do it though
Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I weigh mine each day to ensure they're doing okay it helps me identify my hedgehogs in good health. If they drop a lot I know something is up. This will help you with your hedgehog diet if nothing else .
Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just a note about insects: crickets and roaches are quite low in fat and hedgehogs actually need the protein and chitin the gross little things provide. I would cut back on mealies a bit and do what you said you're planning to do and double-check the kibble ingredients and make any necessary changes but I would continue to provide low-fat insects.

Sumo has been filling up on watermelon and cucumber so he is eating less beef and chicken - a good thing cuz he's quite...fluffy. You can offer veggies and fruit but don't cut back too much on the protein sources - hedgies need it.

Daily weighing or at least every few days will give you some idea on how successful your changes are.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

She likes watermelon! Of course, once she smelled the cat food she went back to that. But I'm glad I found something she likes that's not high protein. I'll try peeled cucumber next
She weighs 490 grams. A month ago, she weighed 435. Ouch. I had no idea that hedgies could gain so much weight so easily. I'll be more careful with the worms now. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
Just a note about insects: crickets and roaches are quite low in fat and hedgehogs actually need the protein and chitin the gross little things provide. I would cut back on mealies a bit and do what you said you're planning to do and double-check the kibble ingredients and make any necessary changes but I would continue to provide low-fat insects.

Good to know. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in