NEED HELP! Hedgehog has infected neck - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 2 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NEED HELP! Hedgehog has infected neck

My hedgehog hedgie started out with the exact thing on his neck as Quinn and I put Neosporin on it and took extra care when I Bathed him and it seemed to start to heal really nicely so after about a week I stopped putting Neosporin on it, that was almost two weeks ago and I haven't gotten him out to play, I just wanted to let him rest and heal. I got him out today and the spot has doubled in size and is BAD I'm trying to find a vet that will take him but I'm not having much luck and I'm leaving tomorrow to go on a two week vacation, Is there an ointment or something I can get for him?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1435358795757.jpg (136.5 KB, 34 views)
Cmathes14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default NEED HELP! Hedgehog has infected neck

I adopted my hedgehog about two months ago he looked like he had a mole on his neck and I didn't think much of it because the owner said it was just a mole and it was fine but about a few weeks ago it just got infected, I have no idea if it was him scratching it or what but it was pretty bad, I cleaned it and out Neosporin on it everyday and took extra care when I Bathed him and it seemed to start to heal really nicely so after about a week I stopped putting Neosporin on it, that was almost two weeks ago and I haven't gotten him out to play, I just wanted to let him rest and heal. I got him out today and the spot has doubled in size and is BAD I'm trying to find a vet that will take him but I'm not having much luck and I'm leaving tomorrow to go on a two week vacation, I live in flat Rock NC, is the some kind of ointment or something I can get for him?
Cmathes14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If it's as bad as it sounds, you can't do anything for him - he needs a vet. Who's taking care of him while you're gone? Do you trust them to get him to a vet for you? You can leave money for them, or if they're okay with it, have them pay & you can pay them back when you get home. You need to work something out, though. He needs medical care. I know you meant well, but if a hedgehog has an injury, it needs to be inspected daily. You shouldn't leave them unhandled for two weeks under normal circumstances either, but especially not if they might have a health issue.

Edit - I saw your comment on the other post, with the picture included. That REALLY needs a vet. There is nothing you can do for him at home at this point. Keep calling vets & look for anyone who's willing to see small mammals. Check emergency vets as well, especially if the person you're leaving him with can't take him to the vet for some reason. If that's the case, he needs to go before you leave. That wound needs to be cleaned & examined, and he'll probably need oral antibiotics so the infection doesn't spread. They may have more treatment instructions for you too, but that's for the vet to decide.

For others who see this post, this is where the picture is posted - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...e-worse-2.html I'd move it to this, but I'm not actually sure how.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 06-26-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Agreed you need to get him to a vet before you go away. It can't wait two weeks the infection could kill him by then and he must be in a lot of pain even if he isn't showing it.
MomLady likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Putting neosporin on this size of wound is inadvisable. This needs medical treatment from a veterinarian.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Oh my goodness! Poor baby! Looking at the picture, those sites look just awful. I don't in any way want to be negative or come off as condecending, but leaving him so long without care is borderline negligent! I know you meant well and thought you were doing what was best, but when it comes to hedgehogs, vets should be your first stop whenever you have a medical issue. Even if it's just a phone call to the vet to let him know what's going on and get some advice. We here at HHC can only advise you as to what we know through previous experience. Only a vet can give you an official diagnosis and provide a treatment plan.Hedgehogs are still a fairly "rare" type of pet, so medical care for them at home isn't as well developed as it is for dogs or cats. Im sorry this is happening to you and It sounds like you really did mean well. I hope you can get him into the vet as soon as you possibly can. Would you mind letting us know what kind of bedding you use? Do you use a heating pad? These are things that may have worsened or even caused the sores. Best of luck!
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I moved the post with the image (now post #1) and my response (post # 5) to this thread.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in