Pimple/boils/ingrown quills near butt - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2015, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pimple/boils/ingrown quills near butt

One of my hedgies, Conan, has devolved several bumps near his bum, where his quills meet his fur. The bumps look like red pimples, one larger one and two little tiny ones, each around a quill. I noticed them last night. After checking the forums to make sure it was safe for him, I applied a bit of regular neosporin (not pain relief). This morning I woke him up to check again and reapply more neosporin and noticed no change, neither worse nor better. Tonight, I checked again and the bumps seem to have come to a head, like whiteheads and the larger one had gotten a little smaller and had drained a bit of blood and pus, which I wiped away with a damp Q tip before applying more neosporin. I took the draining as a positive sign that maybe his body was removing the infection. He has been acting totally normally otherwise, eating, drinking, running in his wheel, etc.

My question is should I take him to the vet right away or wait another day or two to see if he improves? He is a rescue that I've had for about a year. When I first got him, he was extremely obese (1025 grams) and was absolutely terrified of everything (he even had to be sedated at the vet to have his nails clipped because he would not calm down!) His weight and his fear levels have both gone down significantly in the past few months, but he still can get extremely stressed when doing things like going to the vet.mObviously, keeping him healthy is my biggest concern, but I'd like to avoid a trip to the vet for the sake of his stress levels unless it's absolutely necessary. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Also, sorry for the long-winded post. I'm a relatively new hedgie mommy and Conan is my first! Just want to make sure I do the right thing for my little man! Thanks everyone! ?
Stacyjean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Can you maybe show a picture? It sounds like it is nothing serious, just keep applying Neosporin to it. If they don't go away within two or so days, you should probably get him checked. They can remove the ingrown quills and give you antibiotics to stop infection.

Edit: If the spot isn't too irritated, you can pull the quill out yourself. If it seems to be hurting your hedgie, stop and let the vet do it. The quills come out quite easily. It makes a pretty ugly hole, and it may bleed a little, but he shouod be fine. Add Neosporin to the hole.

Last edited by Flamepool; 06-24-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Flamepool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in