Hedgehog Central banner

a little concerned...

876 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dinosaurgirl 
#1 ·
so, I'm just a little concerned about my Delilah. Last week we got her a new bag of her food, which was by mistake a different kind. before she was eating the kind for indoor cats, and we got the kind for all ages, and i noticed it looked a little different (the food).. but we have been feeding it to her for a week now, and each day when I get up and clean her cage out, her poop has been all mushy, and I can't tell if she has diarrhea or not :shock: it kinda looks like it could be, but it also looks like she could just be walking in her mushy poop and tracking it all around. So, I guess my first question is what does hedgehog diarrhea looks like :?: I should add that after I did a little research on cat foods, and realized that the food had corn meal in it, and had read on here that that can be toxic to hedgies... we got her a completely different food, one that doesn't have any corn meal in it.. and her poop looked a little better today, but still mushy... other than food, what do you guys think could be causing this? are there any further actions I should be taking... :?: She has been, eating, drinking and wheeling like normal...she has also been acting like her normal grumpy self :lol: So, I'm not really sure where to go from here.

#2 ·
The softer poop is likely from the food changes. Are you mixing the new food in with the old or just giving only the new food? Hedgies don't do well with sudden changes, so when switching food, you need to go slowly and mix the new in with the old gradually over a couple of weeks. The poop should clear up pretty quickly, but you could give her some probiotics, I think, to help with it. And cornmeal isn't really toxic, but because hedgies can't digest corn, it's useless to have it in their food since it doesn't provide any nutrition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.