Tenrecs? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tenrecs?

Hey Guys,
I have a slight query and a little bit of a problem.
I see most of the hedgehog owners here mainly speak about African Pygmy Hedgehogs and I'm not sure if my query is suited for this forum. There arnt many forums out in relation to Tenrec Help but i was wondering if any owners have had this problem or know what it could be caused by.

My girlfriend and I Own a Tenrec Hedgehog,
We've had Our hedgehog for about maybe 6 months or so I'd say he is about 10 months old all together.
the first say 4 months he has been awesome, running around and lively. In his wheel all the time. A real ball of fun. But as though it was overnight he seemed to get really slow and sluggish, progressively worse and worse. if I watch him walk around he seems to limp on his right front paw as though it was sore using it half on and off like he injured it, if i touch it gently or move it, he doesn't make a noise or pull away so it doesn't seem sore for him its like nothing that's fazing him. We're getting really worried because its been about two months now and he is just so slow and eating really slowly (not enthusiastically like he used to) But still nonetheless eating. He is also going to the bathroom fine as well and stools don't look any different than before. They look healthy. - We currently feed him Meal worms(calcium powdered) and Crickets, With the Fruits when he feels like some.

I called the Exotic pet vet which cost us like R500 (South African Rand - 45 pounds) just to see him. She said there was nothing wrong and just de-wormed him. Clearly there is something wrong because he wont walk on his paw and doesn't move much. Its end of Autumn, Going into winter in South Africa at the moment and it gets surprisingly very cold here but he has a heating pad and is given daily warmth and sunlight..I REALLY don't know what the problem is.

Has anyone encountered something similar or have any advice for us?
PS: I could post pictures or a video if need be to help explain it..
Thanks in advance. Really worried over here
Razzik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tenrecs?

I do not have any specific Tenrec knowledge but...

First try (and it sounds semi cruel) taking away the wheel for a few days and see if the leg improves at all.

Other than that a few things come to mind... arthritis, perhaps a bone bruise or bone spur. Kind of a long shot but I can't think of anything else that would present like that... And all of those may only hurt when the spot is stimulated in a very specific way. I'd have an X-Ray done if you haven't already to check for these. You might see if a "normal" vet would do this... if he will stay still you might not need any anesthetic.

I'd also take a look at that limp closely, try to determine if staying off of part of the foot or if he is offloading the weight. I would also fill a tub with 3-4 inches of water and see if he uses the foot to swim with.

Write down all your observations and take them to the vet when you go back.

Best of luck and I hope this helps.
Mytheral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would also suggest finding either a different exotic vet or if thats not possible maybe a regular vet who would at least be willing to help you further than saying nothing is wrong x,x

I hope all goes well.. keep us updated.. send a get well & love to your little tenrec from us!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've heard of Tenrecs getting slow before I think it was called Toupour or something similar but the leg does sound like its injured though. The only for sure way to know would be to find an exotic vet that would treat them. Maybe one that treats hedgehogs would be willing to see them, I know they are newer to the pet scene but it may be worth a try. There is a couple members on here that have them so maybe they will know more.

I think trying for an exotics vet would be the best bet but I imagine it will be hard. Hope the little guy gets feeling better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in