First Vet Trip tomorrow - What do I need to know? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Vet Trip tomorrow - What do I need to know?

Mildred has her very first vet appointment tomorrow! She is just over 8 weeks old.

Everything has been going very smoothly for us since we brought her home. She was anxious the first night in her new home, and had green poops, but by the 2nd night, she was pooping normally (and a lot ) and was really curious about my fiance and I. She is drinking and eating regularly. She was 170/175g on the 24th of May, and 190g on the 31st. She seems to be growing more trusting of us every day. She wakes up about 3 times each night. I think her internal clock has her waking up the first time around 10:30, and that's when we take her out for play/cuddle time. She was quilling pretty badly up til about 3 days ago. She is still dropping quills, but not nearly as heavily as she was. She isn't scratching herself anymore. She honestly seems to be pretty darn content with life right now.

So after having said that, is there anything specific I should ask the vet about? I really don't have any concerns about her - she is doing great. What are the "general" things I should ask him?

Also, what is the average hedgehog vet visit like? I'm curious what the vet will look at/do/ask me.

Any vet experiences will be greatly appreciated.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: First Vet Trip tomorrow - What do I need to know?

14 views... anyone??

Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just make sure to tell your vet about how your hedgies housing is set up and what foods cleaning products or anything else you may be using down to the brand name. the more info you give the better. if you go to a good vet they will know what answers to give even if you dont know the question. they should also be asking you about things like diet... housing.. temperature......if its important they should ask you about it to insure everything is going right. if they arent asking these things or dont seem too concerned by the essentials it might not be that great of a vet! good luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

For a general exam, on top of asking questions about the way I take care of the hedgie, my vet does a physical examination: she observes how the hedgie walks, palpates her abdomen, listens to her heartbeat and her breathing, looks at her ears and eyes and her overall appearance. The vet usually puts my hedgie in a shallow pan of warm water so she can't ball up.

Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

How did the vet trip go?

Kathy
They set off together down the path to return the fresh laundry to the little animals and birds in the neighbourhood. Lucie mounts the stile and turns to thank Mrs. Tiggy-winkle. "But what a very odd thing!" Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is running running running up the hill. Her cap, shawl, and print gown are nowhere to be seen. How small and brown she has grown – and covered with prickles! "Why! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is nothing but a HEDGEHOG!"

Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle
KathyTNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Things went great. The vet asked lots of questions, in addition to having me fill out a detailed form about general care (how often I handle her, brand names of foods, method of feeding, etc). He said it sounds like I'm doing everything right, and that I'm a good mom.

He looked her over, checked her eyes and ears, took her weight, listened to her heart and lungs, and observed her walking for a few minutes. They also did a fecal centrifugation (sp?) and said her poo looked great and she is parasite-free. Mildred was extremely nervous and agitated and wouldn't let him come near her during the exam. She huffed the entire time he was listening to her heart & lungs to the point that he could barely hear. But then when I would touch her, she would calm right down. She's real nervous of new people, and I think it made it worse that we were in a room that smelled like other animals & weird things she's not used to.

It all went smoothly and the vet said she is healthy and adorable, and was happy to get to see a "baby" since he usually sees older hedgehogs, hehe.

I'm relieved. I had no reason to worry, but it's nice getting the nod of approval from a vet.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

He sounds like he did a thorough job! Congrats to both you and MIldred on a clean bill of health.

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like a great vet visit! Its a good sign when they look at the details of how you care for them.. it means they really care about the animals well being. I also have to agree that even if there is nothing wrong, I always feel better after bringing them for an initial exam after bringing them home just to hear it from a professional.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterHeaven
He sounds like he did a thorough job! Congrats to both you and MIldred on a clean bill of health.
Thank you! I'm glad I chose to go to this particular vet. Their website was great, and after meeting the vet, I decided I chose a good one. He was really gentle and understanding of the fact that hedgehogs are shy and protective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda
Sounds like a great vet visit! Its a good sign when they look at the details of how you care for them.. it means they really care about the animals well being. I also have to agree that even if there is nothing wrong, I always feel better after bringing them for an initial exam after bringing them home just to hear it from a professional.
That's exactly how I feel, Panda! I knew I was probably doing everything right, but he confirmed it and seemed pretty knowledgeable about hedgehogs. He said a lot of things basically word-for-word that the experienced hedgie owners have said on this website. He also told me about something called "Hedgehog Rendezvous" held in Milwaukee every year. It's basically a hedgehog & hedgehog owner get together - vets and experienced hedgehog breeders come and give talks to hedgehog fanatics and owners about hedgie wellness, health, new findings, etc. I am definitely going next year.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

that get together sounds awesome! if you go you'll have to post any new findings!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in