Newly adopted hedgie may have a respiratory infection. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newly adopted hedgie may have a respiratory infection.

I just adopted a couple week old hedgehog on the 11th of April, 2015 and he is already having troubles breathing. He continually gets dried boogers covering his nose and has discharge from his eyes. He does not seem too grumpy, yet it is difficult to tell since I have only recently adopted him. The owners I got him from have given me a 30 day guarantee kind of thing and I can take him back to the breeder if needed be within the 30 days. I have already become quite attached to my little hedgehog, but am not able to pay for expensive pet bills. Is there a type of vitamin or something I could buy from the store to help him get better, or should I try to get a new hedgehog? Please let me know
StevieRae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

No there isn't anything like that you can give him. If he has a respiratory infection he needs to see a vet asap. I would talk to the people you got him from to see if they will pay for it but either way he needs a vet. Respiratory infection can quickly become pneumonia which can be very hard to treat
Lilysmommy likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to sound mean. But it would probably be best if you took your hedgehog back to the breeder & didn't get a second one. Hedgehogs come with expensive vet bills - they're not an "if" thing, they're a "when". Even if the breeder pays for the bills for this URI, or if you have them take him back & get a healthy one, you're going to have to pay for expensive vet bills sometime during that hedgehog's life. Bills can easily get up to and over $500 in the USA, Canada, and UK (I don't know how that carries over to other countries).

If you're able to get the breeder to pay for the bills for this URI or have them take him back (and get him vet care) and take a healthy one, and you're able to immediately start putting money aside for a vet fund, then that would be awesome! But if you can't guarantee that you can give a hedgehog vet care, you shouldn't keep this little guy or get a new one.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
discharge, sick, urgent, uri, young

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in