Oh boy, He's having skin problems... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Oh boy, He's having skin problems...

my hedgie Damien who is about 8 months old, has been having skin problems for quite some time now.*he's been having a few patches of hair here & there in his cage, and I've been finding alot of quills. (at least more than 7 a night).
Sometimes he even has dandruff flakes, even when I pick him up. I've checked for mites, I've been analyzing his skin flakes on black fabri to see if i see any pesky white flakes moving, but nothing?*he's had mites back about 6 months ago. the only way I relized he had mites was because I actually relized the white specs moving. I would take black socks on my hands & pet him & then under a bright light I'd watch carefully & I could see them burrowing into the stiching of my socks >
I took him to the vet, & the vet visit was just a horrible experience for us both, but it was the only vet in the area & my only choice, so he got his first shot of ivermectin after reading how dangerous this was to hedgehogs, I cancelled my follow up appointments for his next 2 shots (relize he received the shots 6 months ago, my hedgehog is now 8 months old)

he's having heavy quill loss. he has some hair loss in patches, still attached in PATCHES. he's having dandruff, but otherwise his activity & eating, drinking level is still normal.
I have a humidifier in my room turned on sometimes, & even then it seems when I check his bedding, the loss of quills is the same.*
I don't take him very many baths due to hedgehogs dry skin, but when I do bathe him I use with his normal bathing routine, vegetable oil & vitamin e capsules. I rinse the oil off lightly, & squeeze 1-2 vitamin e capsules on his back.

by the way, he eats purina kitten chow, & natural balance green pea & duck. he doesn't seem grumpy towards me, & I'm worried it's not quilling, due to his age.

can someone please lend me some advice to help my hedgie? it's been driving me crazy trying to find out what's wrong with him :/
what can I do to help cure his skin?*
simply_claire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Oh boy, He's having skin problems...

Sounds like the mites are back. Without the full course of treatment they would come back. Good for you for refusing more ivermectin but he does need to be treated with Revolution.

If the vet won't give her Revolution, do you know anyone with a cat that uses it and could get you one?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Oh boy, He's having skin problems...

My guess is either the mites again or you could have him tested for some sort of fungal infection. My hedgehog had horrible dry skin, quill and fur loss and was positive for ringworm. If things are moving it is most certainly mites, but something to consider if he isn't getting better.
*Member of HWS and IHA*

http://fourlittlefeetboutique.weebly.com/
^^Snuggle Sacks, Cage liners, blankets, Cuddle Cups and more!
Littlefootsmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in