URI Help/Advice - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction
  • 1 Post By JLB92

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default URI Help/Advice

My hedgie was diagnosed with an URI. I brought him to the vet on Monday after noticing a change in his behavior Sunday evening. The vet prescribed Septra 2x a day for 2 weeks. It was liquid form, given via syringe. My little guy was taking it fine up until Thursday, so he only got 2 full days of treatment.

Now he no longer wants to take his medicine. I called the vet and she said I can either bring him in for injection antibiotics or take him off the medicine completely and see how he does.

I cannot get a close/long enough look at his eyes, but his one eye seems to have some gook on it, which is something the vet noticed on Monday. His nose doesn't seem to be bubbling or anything, but he is licking it, so I am not sure if he is licking away discharge or what. When I wake him to take him out, his nose is pretty much dry.

His breathing seems to be normal, although there is an occassional sneeze or two. He is still eating, drinking, wheeling. His body does not feel as warm as it used to, but I have kept the temperature between 73-75F.

As of right now, I have stopped giving him the medicine because he won't take it. I am concerned that he is still sick.

Are antibiotic injections for URIs safe?? Have any of your hedgies ever had them??

Please help, I am desperate.
JLB92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Once you start antibiotic treatment it's very important that you complete it. By starting and not finishing you could be making the illness more difficult to treat because it will become resistant to that medicine. You need to make him take it. It's not fun or easy, but it needs to happen. Get the syringe under his lip. Likely he will get mad and bite it. As soon as he does squirt in the medicine. There are also some helpful stickies on syringe feeding, you can use that info to help you as well
Lilysmommy and MomLady like this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I tried to get it under his lip, but he still would not take it. I will have to try it again.

I am also planning on getting a CHE set up today so hopefully that will help the temperature issue.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay, just tried getting the syringe under his lip to give him his medicine. I was only able to get half the dose in. He will not let me get it all into his mouth.

I just want him to get better I don't know what else to try.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

You have to keep trying. Get it in the corner of his mouth and apply pressure until he opens up. You're going to have to be quick.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html

You may also find this sticky helpful.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Have you tried giving him mealworms injected with his medication? You can ask your vet for an injection needle.
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 02:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

My hedgehog is currently taking Baytril for pneumonia and he hates it! It was a struggle to get him to take it but I figured out a way that seems to work. Usually when I first take him out of his cage he's still a little sleepy and most times he'll curl up into a ball. So what I'll do is I'll have the medicine ready and as soon as he starts to uncurl even a little I'll stick the syringe by his mouth and start to give him a little of the medicine and he will start drinking it a little reluctantly but it does the trick!
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 02:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

I checked out the sticky and that is what I attempted to do when giving him the medicine. He only got 1/2 the dose.

I will have to try again in the morning when he has to take his next dose. I am hoping this works!

When I first gave him the medicine, I gave him tiny pieces of boiled chicken because it said give with food. He wasn't pooping as much, so the vet said hold off on the chicken to see if that helps, which it did for one day. I tried putting the medicine on his mealworms and he won't even eat them.

If he is eating normally and drinking his water, but not pooping as much as he usually does, is that a side effect of the medicine or something worse?
Old 04-05-2015, 02:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am going to try again tomorrow morning when he is due for his next dose. Hopefully this works! I just want him to get better! Thanks for the help!

When I first started giving him the medicine, it was with tiny pieces of boiled chicken because the label said give with food. The vet told me to stop with the chicken because he was not pooping as much as he normally does. It helped for about a day. I tried giving him the medicine on a mealworm but no luck.

If he is not pooping as much as usual, could it be a side effect of the medicine or a serious problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in