Eva's cheek.. (Updated! It was a scab from a bite!) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
ana

Default Eva's cheek.. (Updated! It was a scab from a bite!)

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are new hedgehog owners, and, well... already we have a health concern.

I purchased our little girl on Friday from a pet store in Plano, TX (Plano Pets, to be exact). Buying from a pet store wasn't my first choice by any means, but that's another story...

After getting her home we noticed a bump on her cheek which, at first, we thought might just be something matted in her fur (dare I say poop?) We really couldn't tell... She seems surprisingly well adjusted (especially after an 8+ hour trip home to Memphis on Saturday!) and so we decided to go ahead and give her a bath this evening (which she didn't seem to mind at all, really ^.^). We figured if it was something stuck to her that it'd dissolve or loosen up with some warm water. Such was not the case though.

Now it seems that the bump on her cheek is not just something in her fur after all...

It doesn't seem to be bothering her, and she has no reaction to me touching it either. I just hope it's nothing serious. From what I gather, she's 5-6 months old (or so they told me) and she seems like a sweet, otherwise healthy little girl. I did notice she had a lot of flaky, dead skin before her bath, but I have no idea if she's ever even been bathed before, so I can't really tell yet if she has dry skin problems or if she just wasn't properly cared for in the pet store (considering they apparently didn't notice the thing on her cheek - or didn't care if they did >.<) ... I'm also mixing in Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul with the hedgehog food they were giving her at the store (she seems to like it better too from what I can tell).

My boyfriend is calling a vet tomorrow (a friend of mine with an iguana recommended a good exotics vet). Hopefully they can see her soon and take care of whatever it is.

Anyone seen anything like this before though?

One more from before her bath, you can see some of the dead skin flakes, poor thing...

Update: She's okay! It turned out it was a scab from an injury - most likely she was bitten by one of the other hedgies she was kept with in the pet store.
ana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Growth (?) on Eva's cheek... :(

Those pictures broke my heart. Such a beautiful little girl. I am sure one of the experts will be along shortly with some information for you.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Was she housed with other hedgehogs? It could be an injury, abscess or infection of some sort. I wouldn't panic. At her age, the chance of it being a tumour is possible but remote.
I'd get her to the vet, sooner rather than later so you know what you are dealing with. Hopefully something minor.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
ana

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetland
Those pictures broke my heart. Such a beautiful little girl. I am sure one of the experts will be along shortly with some information for you.
Awwww. Thank you. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Was she housed with other hedgehogs? It could be an injury, abscess or infection of some sort. I wouldn't panic. At her age, the chance of it being a tumour is possible but remote.
I'd get her to the vet, sooner rather than later so you know what you are dealing with. Hopefully something minor.
Yes, actually she was. There were two others in with her - one of which was incredibly temperamental too.

I hope you're right and it's nothing serious!

Wes (my bf/Eva's new daddy) just called to let me know that the vet that works with hedgies is going to be in the office until noon, so I'm about to go warm up the car. Poor girl, just got over her big road trip and now I've got to take her back out again. Wouldn't you know, it's 25 degrees outside here right now too.

Cross your fingers!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy

Dora had something similar but it was more in the "whisker" area, we applied neosporin and after a few days it went away.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
ana

Thanks all, the reassurance that it could be something minor is making me a little less stressed.

I'm waiting on her daddy now because (go fig) my car doesn't want to start (battery's dead because I haven't driven anywhere in over a week and it's been really cold out).

I'll let you all know what the vet says as soon as I get back though.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
ana

Good news!

She's going to be ok! We are sooo relieved!

They had to give her a little gas to calm her down, but the doctor pulled the scab off her face to reveal what looks like a nasty little bite (presumably from one of the other hedgehogs at the store! >.<). I must say I did cringe a little when he pulled it off.

He gave us a topical ointment for her and some oral antibiotic drops as well.

Thank you all for being so reassuring and such! ^.^
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

That is good news. Now for it to heal up.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
ana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra
That is good news. Now for it to heal up.
Indeed! We're supposed to check back with the vet in 10 days. They gave us animax ointment for the bite & clavamox drops for her to take orally.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Eva's cheek.. (Updated! It was a scab from a bite!)

She's a little cutie! I'm so glad it wasn't anything more serious. Just out of curiosity, you said she was in with 2 other hedgies, do you know if they were male or female? If one or both were males then you need to consider the fact she may be pregnant.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in