Grumpy Possibly Sick Hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grumpy Possibly Sick Hedgie

Hello Everyone. my hedgie peanut is always in a ball with spikes up. she also is really small. my awesome friend brayden has a hedgie from the same litter. his hedgie is twice the size of mine. our hedgies are both about 3 and a half months old. here are some pictures of my cage setup and my hedgie.

[img]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g435/Brayden_Ascasibar/DSC00659.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g435/Brayden_Ascasibar/DSC00661.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g435/Brayden_Ascasibar/DSC00658.jpg[/IMG

this picture is of pokey braydens hedgie

Please Help im really worried!
xHOGxLOVERx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Grumpy Possibly Sick Hedgie

What is the temperature in the cage?

Will your hedgie uncurl after a few minutes...how is her belly? warm?

How much light is she getting?

(You will want to lose that mesh wheel soon, too: too dangerous for little toes/feet)

Eating? wheeling? pooping?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

From the picture of her next to the toilet paper roll she looks to be an average size. Even from hedgies from the same litter some can be bigger or smaller than others, hedgies come in a wide variety of sizes.

I do have a few concerns about your cage. She should have 2 square feet of open space in her cage after you put everything in it, that cage looks small to me. The wire wheel is very very dangerous to her little feet as she can catch a toe or nail in the mesh while running. She should have a solid surface wheel.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nikki, I'm not sure but I think his girl is half the size of the one in the pic and same litter...and again, not sure but I think concerned she won't unball. Again...not to sure!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nikki, the image at the bottom is of the other hedgehog, Pokey. I don't see an image of the one in question.

Couple of things: If you are seriously concerned about the hedgehog. Take it into a veterinarian for a wellness check. While it can be normal for a hedgehog to be a lot smaller or more grumpy, if you, as the owner, are concerned take it in for an exam. It won't hurt and it may put your mind at rest that things are ok.

We cannot diagnose a hedgehog over the internet.

Next:
Littermates can be extremely different sizes and can have extremely different personalities. There are very friendly hedgehogs, and then there are those that are extremely distrusting and will not come out of a quill ball. If you have not had her for long, she may not be quick to trust and you may have to patient and spend lots of time with her to gain that trust.

How long have you had this hedgehog? How is her weight? Is she growing?

I have had a couple of litter mates that were very different in size and personality. Most recent was Riley & Rose.

Riley was always extremely skittish and would curl into a ball quickly. He was friendly, but you had to know how to act around him. At one point when he was quilling I hardly ever saw his face. He was a clicky quill ball quite a lot. His skin hurt and being touched at all caused him pain. We worked around this by softening his skin and being very careful to never touch his back. Once his quilling was over, he became much friendlier (to the point he would walk into my hand). He was an "average" sized hedgehog. I don't have his weight chart near me at the moment, and I need more coffee to fully wake up, but I seem to remember him being in the 450 gram range.

Rose. Rose is just a sweetheart. She is a very loving, sweet, and yet very strong willed hedgehog who hardly ever curls up or raises a quill. She has always been this way. Rose's healthy weight is somewhere around 750 grams. She has an extremely large body structure and made her brother look like a runt (he was not). She is just a large hedgehog.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

oops..my bad The OP said there were pics of their set up and hedgie...sooooo I just figured that was their hedgie...lol. Thanks for correcting that.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
oops..my bad The OP said there were pics of their set up and hedgie...sooooo I just figured that was their hedgie...lol. Thanks for correcting that.
I thought the same thing...typed a response, then something made me go back and re-read.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
From the picture of her next to the toilet paper roll she looks to be an average size. Even from hedgies from the same litter some can be bigger or smaller than others, hedgies come in a wide variety of sizes.

I do have a few concerns about your cage. She should have 2 square feet of open space in her cage after you put everything in it, that cage looks small to me. The wire wheel is very very dangerous to her little feet as she can catch a toe or nail in the mesh while running. She should have a solid surface wheel.
no thats my friends hedgie next to the toilet paper tube
Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is my hedgie

sorry picture cuts off but this is abiut half of her
Old 05-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
What is the temperature in the cage?

Will your hedgie uncurl after a few minutes...how is her belly? warm?

How much light is she getting?

(You will want to lose that mesh wheel soon, too: too dangerous for little toes/feet)

Eating? wheeling? pooping?
she takes about 15 mins to uncurl. if she does. she gets light from the fireplace but little light. i have put a new flat surface wheel in. she eats the hedgehog diet food that looks like cat food. she runs at about 9:30pm ish to 10pm ish. her poops are small and scattered around the cage. about the length of a grape and width of a raisin. soory, dont know the temp but she is right near the fireplace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in