Hedgehog Central banner

How early can you start using flaxseed oil capsules?

897 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  zoinks 
#1 ·
We just got Zoinks yesterday and we've noticed his skins a little red around the arms and we were wondering how early can you start putting flaxseed capsules on their food?
He's still on his Breeder's mix as we decided to give him 48 hours on that before we start changing him over and I'm pretty sure he's had coconut oil in the past instead of flaxseed. Since getting home all his poop has been brown as it usually would be with no signs of any green poo.

#3 ·
Left it all as was for another day as you suggested Ria and wow when we put some flaxseed on his kibble tonight he went crazy for it! Anointed and everything, we even got him to try a mealie (something we were told prior he turns his nose up at) by putting a little drizzle of flaxseed on it.

Safe to say flaxseed is a hit! xD

#4 ·
A lot of Hogs seem to love it, Holly eats her food better when she has flaxseed oil, but I wouldn't recommend giving flaxseed oil more than twice a week for them. It helps dry skin, but it also helps their digestive system like fibre to too much wouldn't be good.

#5 ·
If you've just taken a hedgehog home. I suggest you let it rest, you can observe it. Try to feed the hedgehog what it is used to eating. Observe its state, appetite and defecate. If it's good for a few weeks, you can try adding other foods. Then watch its digestion. If something goes wrong, stop immediately. If there is no problem, you can continue feeding.
Its skin is red, and there could be many reasons. If it's dry skin, add a small amount of flaxseed oil to its diet,once or twice a week.If it's a fungal infection or other skin condition, see a veterinarian. Flaxseed oil may not help it.
That's my opinion. I hope it helps you.

#7 ·
Had a bum internet connection for almost all of the past week so apologies for the late response!

We've been monitoring Zoinks as best we can, luckily we don't sleep until 4-5am so we've managed to see a fair bit of him when he's awake. He seems fine for the most part- eating, drinking and then sleeping mostly and we're pretty certain he's quilling as he's recently been leaving a few quills behind in his bed when we clean it.

Unfortunately we only had enough of the breeders baby hog mix for two days- We were given the adult hog mix (different from the single pellet baby hog mix) but he wouldn't take to it- He's eating our mix just fine it seems, his feces is brown, solid and he goes multiple times a night.

I know we need to keep an eye out for green poop (of which we've had none so far thankfully!) but is there anything else that could indicate a poorly tummy that we should be looking out for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.