Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - hi
Thread: hi
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aj.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
I don't like saucer wheels for one main reason; it works their little bodies unevenly. I'm not too sure how big of an issue this is with hedgehogs, but it's one of the concerns raised with other wheel-using species; because their inner and outer bodies are being worked differently, which can have an impact developmentally wise. It's why that for species who use wheels, saucers are recommended as play-time use only, and are not a replacement for a standard, up-right wheel.

Like I said, i'm relatively new to hedgehogs (I've only had my girl since November last) so I'm not too sure how much of an impact saucer style wheels can have on hedgehogs, but i dont see any reason for why they wouldn't potentially suffer from the same negative effects. I'd suggest getting him an upright wheel, and see if he'll prefer that. You can still keep the saucer for playtime, but his go-to should be upright,.
Great points about keeping it in for playtime. As a generality, saucers very easily can cause spine issues later in life if only given that option your hedgies whole life, primarily due to the angle of the wheel. But, if you have the room for two wheels, I don’t see why it would hurt to put the saucer in every once in a while to give them an option here and there!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote